RICHMOND, Va. (January 27, 2010) - The Colonial Athletic Association has announced its Silver Anniversary team for men's track and field, which includes 20 All-America honorees, 13 CAA Athletes of the Year and six athletes who competed in the Olympic Games.
As part of its 25th Anniversary celebration in 2009-10, the CAA is recognizing Silver Anniversary teams in 21 championship sports. The teams were selected by a panel of current and former coaches in the conference.
Men’s track and field has been a championship sport in the CAA since 1990. UNC Wilmington has captured a league-high 10 conference titles, including six straight from 1997-2002 and three in a row from 2007-09. William and Mary has won four league championships, taking home back-to-back crowns in 1992-93 and 2003-04. George Mason was the CAA champion in 1990, 1994 and 1995 and VCU won conference titles in 1996 and 2006. Navy captured its only CAA championship in 1991.
The conference has had numerous athletes who have distinguished themselves on the national and international stage. George Mason’s Julius Achon was a two-time national indoor champion in the mile and competed in two Olympics. Mason’s Istvan Bagyula was a three-time NCAA pole vault champion and placed ninth at the 1992 Olympics. The Patriots’ Greg Haughton won the 400 meters at the 1995 NCAA Championship and earned a pair of bronze medals at the 2000 Olympics. William & Mary’s Brian Hyde tied the fastest 1,500-meter time in American collegiate history and took part in the 1996 Olympics. W&M’s Matt Lane was selected as the USTCA Track Athlete of the Year in 2001. George Mason’s Richard Phillips and Maurice Wignall both made the finals of the 110-meter hurdles at the 2008 Olympic Games.Share your thoughts of your favorite CAA track and field athletes and moments at www.facebook.com/CAASports. If you do not have a membership to Facebook, click here to join for free.
CAA MEN'S TRACK AND FIELD SILVER ANNIVERSARY TEAM
Julius Achon – George Mason - 1996-97 – Kampala, Uganda
• 1996 CAA Athlete of the Year who earned All-America status in the 800 and 1500 meters
• Three-time IC4A champion outdoors and two-time indoor national champion in the mile
• Competed in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and the 2000 Sydney Olympics in the 1500 meters
|Istvan Bagyula – George Mason - 1989-1992 – Budapest, Hungary
• Four-time All-America selection and a three-time NCAA pole vault champion (1990-92)
• Silver medalist in the pole vault at the 1991 World Championships and placed 10th in 1993
• Placed ninth in the pole vault for Hungary at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics
|Anders Christiansen – William and Mary - 1995-99 – University Park, Md.
• Two-time All-American outdoors and once indoors in the 800 meters
• CAA Athlete of the Year in 1997 and two-time CAA champion in the 800 meters
• Ran ninth-fastest 800m time in the U.S. (1:46.66) to finish 2nd at 1997 NCAA Championship
|Ben Cooke – James Madison - 1999-2001 – Floyd, Va.
• Competed in the 5,000 meters at the 2001 NCAA Outdoor Championship
• Owns the second-fastest 5,000 meter time (13:53.64) outdoors in JMU history
• Earned All-America honors indoors in the 3,000 meters and distance medley relay in 2001
|Ian Fitzgerald – William and Mary - 2004-09 – Glenshaw, Pa.
• Three-time All-CAA and All-East honoree in outdoor track
• Competed in the 5,000 meters at the 2008 and 2009 NCAA Outdoor Championship
• Received NCAA All-America honors in 2009 after a 9th-place finish in the mile indoors
|James Frierson - VCU - 2004-07 – Richmond, Va.
• Named the Co-Outstanding Male Peformer at the 2006 CAA Championship
• Eight-time CAA champion, including two titles in the 200 and 400 meters
• Holds VCU school records outdoors in the 200, 300 and 400 meters
|Greg Haughton – George Mason - 1995-96 – Kingston, Jamaica
• NCAA National Champion in the 400 meters at the 1995 NCAA Outdoor Championship
• Four-time All-American outdoors (400, 4X400 relay) and 1995 CAA Athlete of the Year
• Won bronze medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics for Jamaica in the 400m and 4X400 relay
|Matt Holthaus – James Madison - 1993-95 – Columbia, Md.
• Three-time All-American outdoors in the 1,500 meters
• IC4A champion in the 1,500m outdoors and the 1,000m indoors
• Placed fourth in the 1,500 meters at the 2000 Olympic Trials
|Jeff Hough – William and Mary - 1991-92 – Vernon, Mich.
• Two-time NCAA outdoor All-American in the 10,000m, placing 9th in 1991 and 10th in 1992
• 1991 CAA champion in the 5,000 meters with a meet-record time of 14:15.64
• IC4A champion in the 5,000 meters outdoors in 1992
|Mike Howell – William and Mary - 1989-93 – Edmond, Okla.
• Five-time CAA champion – winning hammer and discus twice and shot put once
• Holds the CAA record (194-4) and W&M record (206-1) for the hammer throw
• Only male athlete to win three throwing events at a single CAA championship in 1992
|Nate Hunter - Northeastern - 2005-09 – Gloucester, Mass.
• Earned NCAA All-America honors indoors and outdoors in the shot put in 2008-09
• Three-time CAA champion in the shot put and discus (2006, 2007 and 2009)
• 2009 CAA Athlete of the Year after shattering the league record in the shot put (60-10.5)
|Brian Hyde – William and Mary - 1991-96 – Kentwood, Mich.
• NCAA All-American in the 1,500m (outdoors), mile (indoors) and 3,000m (indoors)
• Tied the fastest 1500 meter time in American collegiate history (3:35.84)
• Competed in the 1,500 meters at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics
|Darrick Ingram – East Carolina - 1997-2000 – Lumberton, N.C.
• Seven-time CAA champion, including three titles in the 200 and 400 meters
• Named Outstanding Meet Performer at the 1997 and 2000 CAA Championships
• Three-time NCAA All-American in the 4X400 relay and once in the 400 meters
|Davion Lambert - VCU - 2004-07 – Richmond, Va.
• CAA Co-Athlete of the Year in 2005 and Most Outstanding Performer at 2006 CAA Championship
• Seven-time CAA champion, including three titles in the high jump and the long jump
• Three-time NCAA qualifier who holds VCU records in the high jump, long jump and triple jump
|Matt Lane – William and Mary - 1997-2001 – Yarmouth, Maine
• 2001 USTCA Male Track Athlete of the Year and two-time Eastern T&F Athlete of the Year
• Seven-time NCAA All-American in the 5,000 meters and once in the 3,000 meters
• Five-time CAA champion who was the CAA Athlete of the Year in 2000 and 2001
|Jason Long – James Madison - 1998-2001 – Edinburg, Va.
• All-American in the 1,500m outdoors and three times in the distance medley relay indoors
• CAA champion in the 1,500 meters in 1999 and the 800 meters in 2001
• Competed at the 2000 Olympic Trials in the 800 meters
|Michael McDuffie – UNC Wilmington - 1995-98 – Raeford, N.C.
• Captured three consecutive CAA triple jump championships (1996-98)
• Five-time All-East honoree in the triple jump and the Penn Relay champion in 1997
• Holds UNCW triple jump records indoors (51-3 ¾) and outdoors (52-0 ½)
|Ed Moran – William and Mary - 2000-05 – Dayton, N.J.
• Two-time All-American in the 5,000m after top seven finishes at the NCAA Championship
• Honored as the CAA Athlete of the Year in 2003
• Won the gold medal and set a meet record in the 5,000m at the 2007 Pan American Games
|Jesus Ortega - VCU - 1998-99 – Madrid, Spain
• Earned All-America honors in the 1,500m (outdoors) and the distance medley relay (indoors)
• Selected as the CAA Co-Athlete of the Year in 1998 after winning the CAA title in the 1,500m
• Holds seven VCU records, including the 800m, 1,500m and distance medley relay
|Richard Phillips – George Mason - 2003-06 – St. Catherine, Jamaica
• NCAA All-American in the 110m hurdles and the 4X100 relay and six-time CAA champion
• 2004 CAA Athlete of the Year and two-time CAA Championship Most Outstanding Performer
• Two-time Olympian who finished 7th in the 110m hurdles for Jamaica at the 2008 Games
|Jerry Roney – James Madison - 1990-93 – Baltimore, Md.
• Earned outdoor All-America honors for four straight seasons in the 110m hurdles
• Five-time CAA champion and CAA Athlete of the Year in 1991, 1992 and 1993
• Placed fifth in the 110m hurdles at the 1992 U.S. Olympic Trials
|Mark Steeds – Georgia State - 2006-09 – Paris, Ontario, Canada
• 2008 CAA Athlete of the Year and a two-time CAA champion in the 1,500 meters
• Placed in the top 12 in the 5,000 meters at the 2008 and 2009 NCAA Championships
• Holds school records in the 1,500 meters, 3,000 meters and 5,000 meters
|Paul Vandegrift – William and Mary - 1987-1992 – Gwynedd Valley, Pa.
• Six-time NCAA All-American, including four straight years in the 1,500m outdoors
• Competed for the U.S. at the 1988 World Junior Championships
• Won the 800 meters and 1,500 meters at the 1992 CAA Championship
|Anthony Wallace – James Madison - 2000-03 – Fredericksburg, Va.
• Earned All-America honors in the long jump at the 2002 NCAA Indoor Championship
• Captured the long jump at the 2002 CAA Championship
• Three-time IC4A long jump champion (2002, 2003)
|Maurice Wignall – George Mason - 1997-99 – Kingston, Jamaica
• Received All-America honors in the long jump at the 1997 NCAA Outdoor Championship
• Named CAA Athlete of the Year and CAA Championship Most Outstanding Performer in 1999
• Reached the finals of the 110m hurdles at the 2004 (4th) and 2008 (6th) Olympic Games