CAASports.com plans to follow the 2007 spring action which leads up the to the inaugural CAA Football season. Various student-athletes will be contributing to the CAASports.com Football Blog throughout the spring season. Log on each Wednesday beginning March 28 to get a behind-the-scenes look at what CAA Football student-athletes are doing leading up to and during their spring practice seasons.
- March 28: John Wormuth - Maine, Jason Hatchell - Massachusetts, Ricky Santos - New Hampshire, Derek Cox - William & Mary, Mark Stolte - Rhode Island, Rob Zarrilli - Hofstra
- April 4: Mark Stolte - Rhode Island, Matt Sherry - Villanova, Tim Hightower - Richmond, Brian Bradford - Towson, John Wormuth - Maine, Derek Cox - William & Mary, Jason Hatchell - Massachusetts, Luke Bonus - Hofstra
- April 11: Mark Stolte - Rhode Island, John Wormuth - Maine, Jason Hatchell - Massachusetts, Ricky Santos - New Hampshire, Derek Cox - William & Mary, Tim Hightower - Richmond
- April 18: Matt Sherry - Villanova, John Wormuth - Maine, Derek Cox - William & Mary, Tim Hightower - Richmond, Mark Stolte - Rhode Island, Rob Zarrilli - Hofstra, Jason Hatchell - Massachusetts, Mike Byrne - Delaware
- April 25: Mark Stolte - Rhode Island, John Wormuth - Maine, Derek Cox - William & Mary, Jason Hatchell - Massachusetts, Luke Bonus - Hofstra, Mike Byrne - Delaware
- May 2: Mark Stolte - Rhode Island, Rob Zarrilli - Hofstra, Jason Hatchell - Massachusetts, Brian Bradford - Towson
John Wormuth – Maine
Spring football is now over and the team is here finishing up finals and the spring semester. I felt like we got better each and every practice this spring. All 15 times we went out we had good practices and got a lot accomplished. We focused a lot on finishing everything we did this spring, because a lot of games last year went down to the wire and we didn't finish like we needed to. This spring was a great opportunity for us to practice that, with periods of overtime and late fourth quarter situations. The team reacted very well to these situations. the defense either stepping up and getting a big stop or the offense getting a score when we need one most.
We had a lot of question marks going in to spring ball with the departure of some great players, but a lot of guys stepped up to fill some pretty big shoes and we are getting to where we need to be for next season. I keep getting questions about last season, but what happened last season and the success we had on defense means more than nothing going into the 2007 season. What we did last year doesn't help us at all. It's a new team with new players and we hope to finish better than we did last year.
The team following spring practice is already preparing for our summer workouts, we plan on having a record number of guys here this summer getting better. After finals week we'll start right up into preparation for camp in August. Going into the summer we all know we need to work hard at our skills. Watching tape from the spring is great because we can all see what we need to work on.
At our banquet last Friday, Coach Cosgrove announced the captains for our 2007 season. There were three elected, including Bruno Dorsimound, Patrick Mccrossin, and myself. It was a great feeling to walk up in front of all our families and teammates to receive such an honor. I feel like we all are deserving of this honor and will all do our part to lead this team to great things next fall.
Luke Bonus – Hofstra
Spring ball has been over for about a week now, and it feels good to be able to say that I believe we ended on a good note heading into August training camp. We have come a long way since our last game against UMass last year, but we can't afford to take any steps backwards now.
Everyone really had a good time at the spring game on April 28, and it was nice to see a lot of the families come out for the barbecue we had afterwards. As a team we really had a well balanced game, with the offense and defense going back and forth exchanging some big plays. After playing against our offense the last three weeks, it looks as if we are going to have a few game changers this season. Defensively, I think we are starting to play with the mindset and intensity that we showed a few glimpses of, at times, last year. But, like our coaches keep saying, we need to be able to do it every play of every game.
The past week has been pretty crazy around our locker room. We have had five players who have been lucky enough to continue their careers at the next level. They were invited to mini-camps which will be occurring over the next couple of weekends. I want to wish them all the best of luck and hope all of them are able to continue their careers at the next level.
Well, now that school is winding down we are getting back to our normal lifting routines. When we break from school we will have a short time off before we start lifting and running again. Everyone is definitely looking forward to summer, but we are all ready to get into camp and kick off our season. Good luck to everyone in the CAA. I look forward to seeing everyone in a few months.