CAA Men's Basketball Weekly Report - Feb. 18
Keith Rendleman • UNCW
Sr., F, 6-8, 220 - Denver, N.C./East Lincoln
Rendleman averaged 23.5 points, 12.0 rebounds, 3.0 steals and 2.0 blocks in UNCW's 1-1 week. He contributed 24 points and 13 rebounds in a narrow 92-86 loss at William & Mary and followed with a game-high 23 points, 11 boards and four steals in a 73-67 win over first-place Northeastern. For the week, Rendleman shot 68% (17-25) from the floor. He has posted double-doubles in five straight games and has 16 for the season.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Marcus Thornton • William & Mary
So., G, 6-4, 185 - Upper Marlboro, Md./Bishop McNamara
Thornton averaged 23.3 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists in W&M's 2-1 week. He made 14-of-28 (50%) from 3-point range and was 20-of-22 at the FT line. Thornton was a career-best 7-of-13 from beyond the arc and scored a career-high 32 points in a 74-62 victory at ODU and had a game-high 25 points, five rebounds and five assists in a 92-86 win over UNCW. He also scored 13 points in a narrow 68-64 loss to Northeastern.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Andre Nation • James Madison
Fr., G, 6-4, 190 - Plant City, Fla./Faith Baptist Christian School
Nation came up big in JMU's victories over Towson (75-70) and Delaware (72-71) last week that moved the Dukes into second place. The freshman guard scored 14 points on 5-for-5 FG shooting vs. the Tigers and then scored the game-winning basket on a lob dunk with 0.6 seconds left as JMU edged the Blue Hens.
Northeastern Maintains Top Spot In CAA Standings: Despite back-to-back losses to Delaware (76-74/ot) and UNCW (73-67) last week, Northeastern (12-3) still holds a two-game lead atop the CAA standings with three games to play. Twelve of the Huskies' 15 CAA games have been decided by seven points or less and they are 9-3 in those contests. Northeastern is 7-1 on the road in CAA play with victories over the top three teams in the league's preseason poll (Drexel, Delaware and George Mason) as well at Towson. The Huskies can clinch at least a share of their first CAA regular-season title with a win over second-place James Madison on Wednesday.
Tight Battle For Second: While Northeastern owns a two-game lead atop the CAA standings, the next five teams in the league race are separated by only 1.5 games. James Madison, which has won seven of its last nine, and Towson, which has won five of its last six, are tied for second at 10-5. Delaware, which has won six of its last eight, is fourth at 9-5. Georgia State has won eight of its last 11 and is fifth at 9-6, followed by George Mason at 8-6.
Road Warriors: Road teams went 7-5 in CAA play last week, continuing a season-long trend of success by visiting squads. Home teams are just 40-38 (51.3%) in league action for the year. Six of the CAA's 11 teams have better conference marks on the road than at home, including five of the top seven teams in the standings (Northeastern, Delaware, Towson, George Mason and Drexel).
Parity Around The CAA: Over the past 11 days (since Feb. 7), all 11 CAA teams have recorded at least one win and one loss. No teams have a current winning streak of more than two games and no teams have lost more than three in a row.
Towson's Turnaround: Towson's 10 conference victories are its most since joining the CAA in 2001-02 and the Tigers have reached the 15-win mark for the first time since 2006-07. Towson's 11 victories away from home (8-8 away, 3-0 neutral) are its most since 1976-77. The Tigers are on pace to post one of the biggest turnarounds in NCAA history.
Three CAA Players Among Nation's Top 15 In Rebounding: Towson junior Jerrelle Benimon ranked fourth in the nation in rebounding (11.3 rpg), UNCW senior Keith Rendleman ranked 11th (10.4 rpg) and Delaware senior Jamelle Hagins was 15th (10.1 rpg) through games of Feb. 17. In other categories, Delaware's Devon Saddler was 19th (19.7 ppg) and W&M's Marcus Thornton was 31st (18.8 ppg) in scoring. W&M's Tim Rusthoven was 32nd (55.5%) in FG percentage. Thornton was also 12th in 3-pointers per game (3.1) and 22nd in 3-point FG% (43%). NU's Joel Smith was 29th in 3-point FG percentage (41.9%) and 39th in FT percentage (85.7%). GSU's James Vincent was 28th (2.4 bpg) and Hagins was 37th (2.3 bpg) in blocked shots. George Mason's Bryon Allen ranked 40th in assist/turnover ratio (2.38).
Towson's Benimon Ranks Second Nationally In Double-Doubles: Towson junior Jerrelle Benimon ranks 2nd in the nation with 18 double-doubles after tallying 12 points and 13 rebounds at JMU last Tuesday. Benimon has posted 10 double-doubles in his last 14 games. UNCW senior Keith Rendleman has recorded double-doubles in five straight games and ranks 4th nationally with 16 while Delaware senior Jamelle Hagins is 12th with 12 double-doubles. Five other CAA players have at least three double-doubles: ODU's DeShawn Painter (9), JMU's Rayshawn Goins (7), William & Mary's Tim Rusthoven (5), Towson's Bilal Dixon (4) and Hofstra's Stephen Nwaukoni (3).
Rendleman, Hagins Among Top 10 On CAA Rebounding Chart: UNCW senior Keith Rendleman and Delaware senior Jamelle Hagins have moved into the top 10 on the CAA's career rebounding list. Rendleman has 1,011 career rebounds and ranks 7th, while Hagins has 999 career boards and ranks 8th. Hagins is the all-time leading rebounder at UD and Rendleman is second on UNCW's career chart, but just four behind Brian Rowsom (1,015). Rendleman is also the 7th player in CAA history to reach 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in a career and Hagins will join him in the elite club with his next rebound. A complete list of the CAA's career rebound leaders is included on page 6 of the release.
NU's Lee Among Finalists For Senior CLASS Award: Northeastern guard Jonathan Lee is one of 10 finalists for the Senior CLASS Award, which honors student-athletes who excel on and off the court. Honorees must have noteworthy accomplishments in community, classroom, character and competition. Lee was a third-team All-CAA selection last season after leading the Huskies in scoring (14.5 ppg) and assists (3.5 apg).
UD's Saddler, Hagins Moving Up Career Lists: Delaware guard Devon Saddler has the second-most career points (1,545) of any junior in Division I, trailing only Creighton's Doug McDermott. Saddler, who is averaging a league-best 19.7 ppg this season, has moved up to fifth on UD's all-time scoring list. He has scored double figures in 33 straight games, which is the 2nd-longest active streak in the nation. Blue Hens' forward Jamelle Hagins became UD's all-time leader in rebounds on Jan. 16 and has 999 career boards. He also owns the UD record and ranks 6th in CAA history with 273 career blocked shots.
Youth Movement: There are only eight seniors among the top 30 scorers in the CAA through games of Feb. 17. Northeastern's Joel Smith and UNCW's Keith Rendleman are the only seniors among the top 10. The top 30 also includes 12 juniors, eight sophomores and two freshmen.
Freshmen Among Steals Leaders: ODU guard Keenan Palmore ranks second in the CAA with 1.8 steals per game and is among four freshmen among the league's top 15 in steals. GSU's R.J. Hunter is 4th (1.8 spg), JMU's Andre Nation is 7th (1.6 spg) and Northeastern's David Walker is 12th (1.2 spg).
Three Teams Among Top 37 Nationally In Free Throw Shooting: Delaware was ranked 13th (75.7%), Northeastern was 15th (75.5%) and Drexel was 37th (73.9%) in the nation in free throw percentage according to the latest NCAA stats through games of Feb. 17. In other team categories, Towson was 38th (39.1%) in FG percentage defense, 21st in rebound margin (+6.6 rpg) and 16th in blocked shots (5.4 bpg). Hofstra was 43rd (30.4%) in 3-point FG% defense. Northeastern ranked 50th (37.1%) in 3-point FG percentage. James Madison was 25th (11.3 tpg) and Georgia State was 45th (11.7 tpg) in fewest turnovers per game.
Record-Setting Season For GSU's Hunter: Georgia State's R.J. Hunter is one of five freshmen in the nation averaging at least 17 points and five rebounds per game. The Panthers' guard is just 27 points shy of breaking the school's freshman scoring record of 515 points set by Matt O'Brien in 1989-90. Hunter made 10-of-15 from 3-point range and scored a career-high 38 points in the Panthers' 83-63 victory over Old Dominion on Feb. 2. The 10 threes set a new GSU record and tied the CAA mark set by George Mason's Dre Smith on Jan. 19, 2008. The 38 points were a career high for Hunter and the most by any freshman in the nation this season.
• Went 2-1 last week, beating ODU 75-73 and Northeastern 76-74 in OT before losing 72-71 to JMU. Have won 6 of the last 8 games.
• Devon Saddler averaged 21.7 ppg and 5.7 rpg last week, including 24 points vs. ODU and 23 points vs. JMU. Saddler, who leads the CAA with 19.7 ppg, has scored double digits in 33 straight games and has tallied 20+ points 12 times. He's moved up to 5th on UD's all-time scoring list (1,545 pts).
• Jarvis Threatt scored a team-high 20 points at NU, including a game-winning 3-pointer in OT, and had a double-double (10 pts/career-high 13 reb) vs. ODU. He's averaging 15.5 ppg and 8.3 rpg in his last 4 games.
• Jamelle Hagins, who has 12 double-doubles this season, owns the UD career records for rebounds (999) and blocks (273).
• Kyle Anderson averaged 12.3 ppg last week, including 16 points vs. JMU. He leads the Hens with 49 three-pointers.
• Delaware tops the CAA and ranks 13th nationally in FT percentage at 75.7%.
• Lost 68-62 to George Mason last Thursday. Drexel is 2-5 at home, but 4-2 on the road in CAA play.
• Junior Frantz Massenat tallied 13 points and 4 assists vs. Mason. He's scored double figures in 12 of his last 13 games. Massenat ranks 7th in career assists (380) at Drexel and recently went over 1,000 career points.
• Senior Derrick Thomas had a team-high 16 points and 4 steals vs. Mason. Thomas has scored double figures in five straight games and is averaging 14.4 ppg over that stretch.
• Damion Lee also scored 16 points vs. Mason after being held to 16 total points over his 3 prior games. Lee had a 16-game double-digit scoring streak that ended on Feb. 2.
• Daryl McCoy grabbed a team-high 12 rebounds vs. Mason and has 8 games with double-digit caroms. McCoy ranks 7th all-time in rebounds at DU (809).
• Drexel made 9 three-pointers against Mason, which was its 2nd-highest total of the season and most since Jan. 2.
• Won 68-62 at Drexel but lost 78-60 to Georgia State last week. Mason is 5-2 on the road in CAA play but 3-4 at home.
• Sherrod Wright scored a team-high 19 points on 7-of-10 FG shooting vs. GSU. Wright has scored 20 or more points 11 times this season, with 10 coming in the past 18 games. He's been Mason's leading scorer 19 times this season.
• Junior Vertrail Vaughns scored a season-high 14 points in just 18 minutes off the bench at Drexel. He had scored just 11 total points over the previous 4 games.
• Jonathan Arledge has scored double figures in 4 of the last 6 games and is averaging 14.0 ppg and 6.5 rpg over that stretch.
• Sophomore Erik Copes recorded his first double-double (career-high 13 points/10 rebounds) vs. Delaware on Feb. 9 and had 12 points and 8 boards at Drexel.
• Freshman Marko Gujanicic added 10 points off the bench vs. GSU.
• Topped Hofstra 61-43 and won 78-60 at Mason last week. The Panthers have captured eight of their last 11 games.
• R.J. Hunter scored a team-high 25 points at Mason. He's scored double figures 21 times and has 12 20-point outings. Hunter is averaging 22.8 ppg over his past six games and leads all CAA freshmen in scoring.
• Manny Atkins averaged 13.5 ppg and 9.5 rpg last week. Atkins, who is 3rd in the CAA in 3-pt FG% (41.8%), has scored double digits in 22 of his last 24 games with six 20+ point efforts. He's shooting 83.3% at the line.
• Devonta White contributed 23 points and 6 assists at Mason. He's reached double digits in 23 straight games. White ranks among the CAA's top six in assists and steals.
• The 43 points by Hofstra were the fewest allowed by GSU this season. The Panthers held the Pride to 29.3% FG shooting and forced 22 turnovers.
• GSU scored a season-high 51 points in the 1st half at Mason and shot 53.7% for the game with 10 three-pointers.
• Lost 61-43 at Georgia State and 57-50 to Towson last week.
• Stevie Mejia recorded his first career double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds at GSU and had 13 points and a career-high 7 steals vs. Towson. Mejia ranks 4th in the CAA in assists (3.9 apg), 1st in steals (2.0 spg) and has scored double digits 17 times.
• Stephen Nwaukoni has grabbed double-digit rebounds seven times this season. He's 7th in the CAA with 7.8 rpg.
• Senior David Imes is averaging 9.0 ppg and 7.1 rpg over his last 5 games. Imes has more than 500 rebounds (526) in his career.
• Sophomore Moussa Kone chipped in 11 points off the bench vs. Towson.
• Freshman Jordan Allen tallied 9 points on 4-of-7 FG shooting vs. Towson. He made a career-high 7 steals at UNCW on Feb. 9.
• Hofstra made a season-high 15 steals vs. Towson and forced 20 turnovers.
• Moved into a tie for 2nd place after victories over Towson (75-70) and at Delaware (72-71). JMU has won 7 of its last 9 games.
• Devon Moore posted a double-double (13 points/10 assists) vs. TU and had 19 points and 6 assists at UD. With 458 career assists, Moore is five shy of JMU's all-time record.
• A.J. Davis came off the bench to score a team-high 17 points vs. TU and 16 points at UD. He's averaging 16.0 ppg over his last 4 games. JMU is 7-1 this season when Davis scores at least 15 points.
• Freshman Andre Nation scored 14 points on 5-of-5 FG shooting vs. TU and scored the game-winning bucket on a lob dunk with 0.6 seconds to play at Delaware.
• Rayshawn Goins recorded his 7th double-double (19 points/10 rebounds) at UD. He's scored double digits in 16 of 18 games.
• JMU committed a season-low five turnovers vs. TU and had just six at UD. JMU is averaging a league-low 11.3 tpg.
• Fell 92-86 at W&M but beat 1st place Northeastern 73-67 last week. UNCW is 4-3 at home and 1-6 on the road in CAA play.
• Keith Rendleman has 5 straight double-doubles after posting them vs. W&M (24 pts/15 reb) and NU (23 pts/11 reb). He has 16 for the season. He also has 17 straight games with double-digit points. He ranks 7th on the CAA's all-time rebounds list (1,011) and is 6th on UNCW's all-time points list (1,427).
• Chris Dixon scored 19 points at W&M and has 8 double-digit efforts in his last 11 games. He dished out a career-high 9 assists in the victory over NU.
• Freshman Craig Ponder contributed 16 points at W&M and is averaging 12.0 ppg over his last six contests.
• Cedrick Williams tallied 12 points and 9 rebounds vs. NU.
• UNCW committed a season-low six turnovers at W&M and had a season-high 17 assists in the win over Northeastern.
• Went 1-2 last week, beating W&M 68-64 before falling to Delaware (76-74/ot) and UNCW (73-67) last week. It was NU's first back-to-back losses since mid-December.
• Quincy Ford contributed 21 points vs. UD and 23 points and 9 rebounds at UNCW. He has four 20-point efforts and has tallied double figures in 11 of his last 13 games.
• Joel Smith missed the UD game with an ankle injury and didn't score in 16 minutes at UNCW. Smith ranks 2nd in the CAA in threes (2.5 pg), 2nd in 3-pt FG% (41.9%), 1st in FT% (85.7%) and 7th in scoring (16.3 ppg). He's 2nd in career treys (225) at NU.
• Jonathan Lee scored a season-high 23 points vs. UD. He's averaging 13.8 ppg. 4.7 rpg and 4.1 apg in 18 games since returning from a preseason foot injury.
• Sophomore Demetrius Pollard made a career-high five steals vs. UD.
• NU is shooting 46.3% from the floor, 41.1% from three and 77.9% from the FT line during CAA play, all of which lead the league.
• Dropped a 75-73 decision at Delaware and lost 74-62 to William & Mary last week.
• DeShawn Painter posted double-doubles vs. UD (22 pts/12 reb) and W&M (16 pts/10 reb) and has 9 on the season. He's averaging 16.7 ppg and 10.2 rpg over his last 7 games.
• Guard Dimitri Batten contributed 15 points off the bench at UD and 12 vs. W&M. Batten is averaging 16.7 ppg over his last four contests, including a 25-point effort vs. Northeastern on Feb. 9.
• Freshman Aaron Bacote scored a career-high 20 points vs. W&M. He hit 8-of-14 from the floor, including 4-of-8 from three.
• Junior Donte Hill was 3-of-6 from 3-point range and scored 15 points at UD. It was his top scoring effort since Nov. 24 and first game in double digits since Jan. 19.
• ODU shot 50% from the floor against W&M, but was 0-for-7 at the free throw line. It was the first time in school history that ODU didn't hit a free throw in a game.
• Fell 75-70 at JMU but won 57-50 at Hofstra last week. Have won 5 of their last 6 overall and are 6-2 on the road in CAA play.
• Jerrelle Benimon posted his CAA-leading 18th double-double at JMU (12 pts/ 13 reb) and had a team-high 17 points at HU. He ranks among the CAA's top 10 in scoring, rebounding, FG percentage and blocked shots.
• Junior Marcus Damas scored a team-high 19 points at JMU and added 11 at HU. He's scored double figures in 7 straight games and is averaging 14.3 ppg in that stretch.
• The Tigers shot 51.2% from the floor at Hofstra and have topped the 50% mark in 4 of the last 5 games.
• Towson, which outrebounded HU 41-25, leads the CAA in rebound margin (+6.6 rpg).
• Towson's 10 CAA wins are its most ever and its 15 overall victories are the most since 2006-07. The Tigers have 11 wins away from home for the first time since 1976-77.
William & Mary
• Went 2-1 last week, losing 68-64 to Northeastern before beating UNCW 92-86 and ODU 74-62 for their first CAA road win.
• Marcus Thornton scored 25 points vs. UNCW and a career-high 32 points at ODU. Thornton, who has tallied double digits in 27 straight games, was 11-of-22 from 3 in the 2 games. He tops the CAA with 3.1 treys per game and is shooting 43% from the arc.
• Brandon Britt averaged 19.3 ppg and 3.7 apg last week. He had 18 points against NU and ODU and scored 22 points with a career-high 6 assists vs. UNCW.
• Tim Rusthoven contributed 14 points and 9 rebounds vs. NU. He's averaging 15.5 ppg and 8.3 rpg over the past 10 games
• W&M shot 60.9% from the floor vs. UNCW, which was its best mark since 2006. The Tribe is shooting 52.5% over the last five games. W&M is averaging 10.3 threes made over the last four contests after hitting 12 against UNCW and 10 at ODU.