Article Image
Courtesy: CAA/Mark Campbell

Delaware Edges William & Mary to Advance to CAA Field Hockey Semifinals

Courtesy: CAA
          Release: 11/02/2012
Send this article to a friend Print RSS

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. (November 2, 2012) - Fifth-seeded Delaware advanced to the semifinals of the 2012 CAA Field Hockey Championship after a 3-2 victory over fourth-seeded William & Mary in Friday morning's quarterfinal matchup at Drexel's Buckley Field. The Blue Hens (8-11, 3-4 CAA) will take on top-seeded Drexel in Saturday's first semifinal at 12:00 p.m.

Senior midfielder Carley Hecht registered the game-winning goal for Delaware in the 28th minute. Freshman forward Pip Saunders paced the Tribe (10-9, 3-4 CAA) with a goal and an assist.

The Blue Hens kicked off the scoring in the 11th minute with a goal from freshman midfielder Morgan Hudson. Michaela Patzner picked up an assist on the play after launching a long shot that deflected off the goal and to the feet of Hudson, who was able to tap it in.

The Tribe answered just eight minutes later with a goal from Saunders that tied the score at 1-1. Saunders cut through the Delaware defense and chipped the ball over the head of Blue Hens' junior goalkeeper Sara Scher.

Delaware capitalized on a penalty corner with seven minutes to play in the first half to earn a 2-1 lead at halftime. Toni Popinko's shot from the top of the arch rattled off the goal under the glove of diving goalkeeper Elizabeth Frey. Hecht controlled the loose ball and launched a shot into the back of the cage to give the Blue Hens the lead. Popinko was credited with an assist on the play. 

UD opened up a two-goal advantage in 44th minute with a goal from junior forward Kelsey Prettyman. The Blue Hens' Tory Sharpless hit Prettyman with a cross in front of the goal and Prettyman was able to chip the ball into the right corner.

A Patzner yellow card in the 49th minute gave the Tribe a man advantage for five minutes, but the UD defense was able to hold W&M to just one shot on goal and kept the lead at 3-1.

W&M rallied back within a goal after a Christine Johnson score off a penalty corner in the 58th minute. Saunders and Emma Clifton were credited with assists on the goal.

Late in the game the UD defense held off a furious charge by the Tribe with Scher picking up two key saves to hold the lead. The Blue Hens were able to control the ball in the final minute and hold on for the victory. Scher finished the contest with six saves as W&M had a 10-6 shot advantage.