Article Image
Courtesy: CAA
ODU's Sarah Breen

Old Dominion Tops Michigan 6-1 in NCAA Field Hockey First Round

Courtesy: CAA
          Release: 11/10/2012
Send this article to a friend Print RSS
Quick Links

RICHMOND, Va. (November 10, 2012) - Old Dominion advanced to the second round of the NCAA Field Hockey Championship Saturday afternoon after knocking off Michigan 6-1 in the first round in Chapel Hill, N.C. CAA champion Drexel fell to second-seeded Princeton 5-0 in its first round matchup in Charlottesville, Va., while CAA championship runner-up Northeastern fell to third-seeded Connecticut 2-1 in double overtime in Storrs, Conn.  


ODU 6, Michigan 1 - NCAA Field Hockey Championship First Round - Chapel Hill, N.C.

Senior forward Maartje van Rijswijk tied an NCAA record for most goals in an NCAA tournament game, scoring five, to lead the No. 8 Old Dominion University field hockey team to a 6-1 victory over Michigan in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday afternoon at Francis E. Henry Stadium.

Van Rijswijk led the Old Dominion (15-5, 7-0 CAA) attack from the outset, putting the Lady Monarchs on the board four minutes into the game on a high shot over Wolverine goalkeeper Haley Jones. She continued to light up the scoreboard with two more goals in the next 15 minutes of play and then hit for the fourth time with six minutes left in the half after scooping up the ball from a Michigan defender.

ODU sophomore midfielder Rosario Villagra put the Lady Monarchs up 5-0 at the 45:20 mark after she carried the ball into the circle and a shot into the left side of the cage. Michigan (15-7) scored their lone goal 13 minutes when Rachael Mack scored off a rebounded after the initial show was saved by redshirt senior goalkeeper Marla Petriello. Van Rijswijk capped the ODU scoring at the 66:10 mark in the game on a deep shot into the left side of the goal for her career-high fifth goal.

ODU will meet top-seeded North Carolina on Sunday at 2 p.m. The winner advances to the NCAA Tournament semifinals, hosted by Old Dominion on Friday, Nov. 16 at the L.R. Hill Sports Complex. The Tar Heels defeated No. 16 Stanford, 4-1, on Saturday morning. The two teams will be meeting for the third time this season, with UNC defeating ODU in the previous two games.


#2 Princeton 5, Drexel 0 - NCAA Field Hockey Championship First Round - Charlottesville, Va.

Drexel University's field hockey program's historic season came to an end with a 5-0 loss to No. 2 Princeton (18-1) in the opening round of its first ever automatic bid to the NCAA Championships hosted at the University of Virginia. The Dragons held the Tigers to one goal after the first 35 minutes of play, but Princeton went on a four-goal spurt in the second half securing the lead until the game clock expired. Drexel, the 2012 Colonial Athletic Association Champions, finished the season 15-7 overall (5-2 CAA).

Sophomore goalkeeper Jantien Gunter had an outstanding performance tying her career-high with 12 saves along with a great defensive effort by the Dragons. Drexel faced 28 shots and 13 penalty corners on the day. Gunter concluded her first season as a starter with 128 stops, including six shutouts for the Dragons. Junior back Kristen Focht finished the year with four defensive saves.

Saturday's game also marked the final contest for Drexel's senior Amanda Fleischut. The CAA Championship's MOP led the attack with 11 goals and eight assists for a team-high of 30 points. Fleischut is now sixth on Drexel's all-time leaderboard with 26 goals and 18 career assists. She also ranks eighth with 70 career points. Junior Lindsay McArdle had the most goals with 12 and finished the season second in scoring with 27 points. Together, the Dragons faced nine nationally ranked programs and outscored their opponents, 45-38, including 4-0 in overtime play this year.


#3 UCONN 2, Northeastern 1 (2OT) - NCAA Field Hockey Championship First Round - Storrs, Conn.

Northeastern field hockey, charged with visiting the third seed in the 2012 NCAA Field Hockey Tournament, more than lived up to the challenge provided, but in the end, it was the Huskies donning the navy and white of University of Connecticut who came away with the 2-1 double overtime victory. NU (14-7, 5-2) was without CAA Player of the Year, Crystal Poland, who was sidelined with an injury, but the Huskies hardly lacked in intensity.

Northeastern got on the scoreboard first, for the 14th time this season, behind a great team play following a penalty corner. Lindsay Bennett inserted the ball and Nicky Graham stopped to supposedly set up for Kate Carlson. But Carlson faked a shot, allowing the ball to fall in Deirdre Duke's possession. The freshman wasted no time, rocketing the ball passed UConn's Sarah Mansfield for the first goal of the game. The score was the CAA Rookie of the Year's 14th of the season and gave NU confidence and a nice cushion against a formidable team.

NU had a great opportunity to open the second half when Caroline Judge fed the ball along the baseline into play, but the circle was void of any Huskies on the attack. UConn then took possession and made it count -- but not before Northeastern asserted its defensive prowess.

UConn earned what amounted to be five corners, all in a row, but the Red and Black's backs and goalkeeper Lizzie Priest played every shot perfectly. In that sequence, what was undoubtedly NU's finest defensive performance of the year, Priest had six saves and the defense blocked four shots to prevent a UConn score.

Needing a breath, NU's Huskies called a timeout at 13:03, but UConn came out determined to score. After earning their 10th corner of the day, the home Huskies finally squeezed one by Priest and the defense, evening things up at 1-1 with just 10:15 left in regulation. UConn kept the pressure on high in the remainder of the half, but couldn't seal it.

After UConn called its timeout with 11:14 left in the second overtime, the Huskies in navy took advantage of an NU misstep and continued on a fastbreak into the circle. After a shot saved by Priest, UConn's Vicky Arthur grabbed the rebound and sent home the game-winner, advancing Connecticut into the Second Round, ending Northeastern's season all in one shot. When all was said and done, UConn led in both offensive categories, 30-7 in shots and 14-5 in penalty corners.

Northeastern's season ends with the Huskies holding a 14-7 record, advancing to the NCAA Tournament for the 16th time under head coach Cheryl Murtagh.