Women's #CAAHoops Weekly Report - Nov. 18
CAA WOMEN’S BASKETBALL WEEKLY REPORT: NOV. 18
Full Report Located in PDF form in Quick Links
• Non-Conference Record: The CAA teams jumped above .500 and have a 15-12 record against non-conference opponents. James Madison (2-0) has posted wins over Virginia and Liberty, while Delaware, Drexel, Hofstra and Northeastern have each scored a 2-1 overall mark over the past two weeks of the season.
• Big Wins: Delaware, Drexel and Hofstra posted wins over ACC (Wake Forest), Big East (Providence) and A-10 (Fordham) on Friday (Nov. 15).
• National Polls: James Madison continued to receive votes in the AP Poll, while three teams (UD, JMU and Drexel) are ranked among the Top 25 Mid-Major Poll and Northeastern received votes.
• Preseason Ranks: James Madison was voted the preseason favorite in the CAA, while Drexel, Northeastern and Towson followed among the top four.
• Preseason Honors: James Madison senior guard Kirby Burkholder was voted CAA Preseason Player of the Year, by the league’s head coaches.
• Welcome to the CAA: The CAA welcomes the College of Charleston Cougars to the league for this season.
• New Head Coaches: The league welcomes two new head coaches as Niki Reid Geckeler takes over the leadership of the Towson Tigers and Ed Swanson starts a new era at the helm of the William & Mary Tribe after 23 years at Sacred Heart.
• 2014 CAA Championship: The CAA Women’s Basketball Championship will return to the Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro, Maryland in 2014 for the fourth straight season.
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
Kelsey Buchanan • Delaware
South Riding, Va./Freedom, Sr., Center
Buchanan picks up CAA Women’s Basketball Player of the Week after a stellar week with the Blue Hens. The senior center opened the two-game set with her first career double-double outing against Temple with 13 points and 10 rebounds. Buchanan then led the Blue Hens to a 10-point victory over Wake Forest with a career-best 22 point performance in front of a home court crowd. The senior finished the week averaging 17.5 points and 9.5 rebounds per game. Buchanan also added three steals.
Jewel Tunstull • Northeastern
Brooklyn, N.Y./Midwood, Sr., Center
Tunstull earns CAA Women’s Basketball Player of the Week leading the Huskies with 17.0 points and 14.5 rebounds per contest as Northeastern went 1-1 against Rutgers and New Hampshire. Tunstull led the league with her 14.5 rebounds per game last week. The senior center recorded back-to-back double-doubles and led the team in scoring against Rutgers with 18 points. Tunstull shot .550 (11-20) from the field and .800 (8-10) from the free throw line. She also added two blocked shots and five steals for the Huskies.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Alexis Smith • Drexel
Lusby, Md/Calvert, Fr., Guard
Smith receives CAA Women’s Basketball Rookie of the Week accolades after scoring a career- and game-high 17 points in the Dragons’ come-from-behind victory over Providence in their home opener last week. The rookie guard scored 13 of her 17 points in the second half on 8-14 shooting (.571) from the field. She also added five rebounds, two assists and one block in the win over the Big East foe.