Northeastern 47, Drexel 46

Box Score

Baptiste Bataille's jumper on an offensive rebound with 1.3 seconds left sent the Northeastern men's basketball team to a 47-46 victory over Drexel Wednesday at the Daskalakis Athletic Center Wednesday in Philadelphia.

The win improves Northeastern's record to 18-10, 12-5 in the CAA. The Huskies remain in a second-place tie with George Mason, one game behind VCU. Drexel falls to 15-12, 10-7 in the CAA.

With Drexel leading 46-45 and holding the ball with 24 seconds left, Drexel's Tramayne Hawthorne missed a jumper and Matt Janning grabbed the rebound. With four second left, Janning's inside shot was blocked by Leon Spencer, but Bataille was there to grab the loose ball, and he put up the game-winning shot from five feet away. Drexel had one last shot, but Samme Givens' football pass to halfcourt sailed over all the Dragons' heads and into Nkem Ojougboh's hands to seal the win.

The game was a battle of two of the better defensive teams in the league. Both teams made just 17 field goals in the game, and the Huskies only had one three-point field goal in the contest. For the game, Northeastern shot 38.6 percent, and the Dragons shot only 29.8 percent.

The Huskies got off to an outstanding start, going on a 12-0 run to open the game. Manny Adako made the first basket of the game with a inside layup and drawing a foul from Evan Neisler. He made the free throw for the three-point play. Chaisson Allen followed with a long jumper just inside the three-point line for a 5-0 lead. After one Nkem Ojougboh free throw, Eugene Spates beat the shot clock buzzer with by banking a three-pointer to put NU up 9-0 at the 17:40 mark.

The run closed with an Adako jumper and one Spates free throw to make it 12-0 in favor of Northeastern. Scott Rodgers broke the run with a three-pointer. After an Adako baby hook, Tramayne Hawthorne hit a trey of his own to cut the NU lead to eight, 14-6, at 14:38.

Later in the half, the Huskies went up 20-11 after Chris Alvarez had a steal and Allen pulled up on a fastbreak and nailed a jumper. However, Drexel went off on a 14-5 run to tie the game late in the half. The run included a pair of Rodgers three-pointers and a three from Jamie Harris. Northeastern went nearly eight minutes without a field goal until Allen connected on a wild jumper in the lane with 55 seconds left to put NU up 25-22. Rodgers then tied the game with his third three-pointer of the half. On the final possession of the half, Ojougboh was fouled by Kenny Tribbett, and he made both free throws to send the Huskies to the locker room with a 27-25 advantage.

The start of the second half was the same as the start of the first, as the Huskies started on an 8-0 run to go up 35-25. The key basket in the run was a Husky fastbreak that ended with Janning feeding Manny Adako for a dunk at 16:57.

Drexel then went on a 15-4 run to take its first lead of the game at 40-39 with 8:23 to go. Hawthorne lit up the Huskies during the run with three treys, including the triple that put the Dragons on top. The two teams traded baskets then as Ojougboh threw up a layup at 7:05, Samme Givens hit a layup at 6:36, Adako nailed a jumper at 6:12 and Spencer drained a jumper at 5:50. Drexel led 44-43.

That was Drexel's final field goal of the game as the Dragons missed their final six shots, including four during one possession between 2:42 and 2:10.

Adako led the Huskies with 17 points, and Chaisson Allen added 10. Rodgers led the Dragons with 13 points, and Hawthorne had 12. 

George Mason 53, UNC Wilmington 52

Box Score

Wilmington, N.C. - John Vaughan made a reverse layup off a pass from Darryl Monroe with four seconds to play as the Patriots survived several big UNC Wilmington runs to beat the Seahawks, 53-52 in Wilmington, N.C. It was Mason's first win at UNC Wilmington in more than five years and it snapped a six-game road losing streak stretching back to the middle of January.

The Patriots led by 16 with 8:39 to play but UNCW used a 23-6 run to take a lead with 21 seconds to play. The run included four 3-pointers from Montez Downey and nine points from Chad Tomko. But the Patriots didn't fold, running a backdoor play that got Vaughan free for the game-winning points.

Dre Smith carried the Patriots early in the second half, Cam Long and Mike Morrison gave the Patriots (19-9, 12-5) the big lead. After UNCW closed to five at 45-40, Smith hit a big 3-pointer and a Darryl Monroe free throw put the Patriots ahead 49-40. The Seahawks then scored 12 of the next 14 points to take their third lead of the game. All of UNCW's leads were by one point.

Smith finished with a team-high 13 points and John Vaughan had the first double-digit rebounding game of his career. The fifth-year senior who had never won at Trask Coliseum finished with seven points and 11 rebounds. Long finished with nine while Morrison had eight. Downey and Chad Tomko each had 17 for UNCW (7-23, 3-14).

After the first minute, it looked as if it might be a high-scoring affair as both teams made their opening shot. But the Seahawks and Patriots combined to then go 1 of 15 from the field as Mason led 4-3 after six minutes. Mason broke out of its shooting slump first, going 4 for 5 over the next four minutes while UNCW missed all four shots. That let Mason take a 13-4 lead midway through the first half. Unfortunately, despite holding UNCW to no field goals and just two free throws over a span of more than 10 minutes, the Patriots could only build the nine-point lead.

The Patriots were finally able to push the lead to double figures after UNCW made its second field goal of the half with 8:30 to go, cutting it to a 14-7 Mason lead. The Patriots answered with a Darryl Monroe basket and a Cam Long 3-pointer for a 19-7 lead. With less than four minutes to go, still down 12, UNCW found its stroke, hitting back-to-back 3-pointers, a layup and two free throws to make it a 21-19 game at the half.

The second half saw Mason score first but Chad Tomko scored five straight for the Seahawks to make it a 24-23 UNCW lead, It was the Seahawks first lead since 3-2. Mason answered with a 6-0 run of its own and with 14 minutes to play, the Patriots held a 31-28 lead, thanks to Smith's barrage. That's when Long and Morrison took over as the Patriots went on a 14-1 run. But just like the first half, UNCW put together a big run, this time 11-0 to pull to within five, 45-40. The bleeding stopped when Dre Smith made his first 3-pointer since January, a long one from the right wing as the shot clock was winding down to put the Patriots back up by eight.

Mason's last win at Wilmington came on Jan. 21, 2004 when the Patriots pulled out a 64-62 overtime win. Mason's three-game winning streak over the Seahawks is tied for the longest such streak against UNCW since a four-game winning streak from Feb. 11, 1989 through Feb. 3, 1990. The longest Mason winning streak against UNCW is five games, set from March 2, 1985 through Jan. 26, 1987. 

Towson 75, Delaware 74

Box Score

TOWSON, Md. – Rocky Coleman and Tim Crossin celebrated senior night by leading Towson to a 75-74 Colonial Athletic Association victory over Delaware Wednesday night in the Towson Center in the 61st meeting between the two schools.

It’s coach Pat Kennedy’s tradition to start all his seniors on Senior Night and it turned into a special swan song for Coleman and Crossin, who as freshmen combined to make up Towson’s starting backcourt. Over the last couple of years their spots have been taken by younger players but they answered the call Wednesday night.

“The first question my wife is going to ask me is why haven’t you played those guys all year long,” said Kennedy. “Nothing brings more joy to me than the way our seniors played tonight.”

Coleman responded by matching his career high of 21 points while Crossin finished with nine points in 27 minutes after logging just 36 minutes on the floor all season.

The win enabled the Tigers (10-20, 5-12) to sweep the Blue Hens (12-18, 5-12) for 2008-09, having won the earlier contest 62-61 in Newark in a nail biter back on January 5. It was the first sweep for Towson of any opponent in three years.

Delaware’s Marc Egerson, who finished with a game high 23 points, buried a three-pointer and then scored on a breakaway layup in a 7-0 run that lifted the Blue Hens from a 24-23 deficit to a six-point lead with 3:15 left in the first half. There had been three ties and eight lead changes up to that point.

Delaware held the lead through halftime and for the next 15 minutes. Towson clawed its way back finally catching Delaware at the 8:16 mark on Robert Nwankwo’s layup. Coleman then sank back-to-back three-pointers to give Towson its largest lead, 63-57 with 6:30 remaining.

Towson protected its lead the rest of the way but the Blue Hens stayed close. Brian Johnson’s trey with 2:50 left narrowed the gap to 71-70 but Junior Hairston answered with two baskets for a 75-70 lead with 1:35 to play.

Jawan Carter then tallied followed by two Alphonso Dawson free throws with 42 seconds remaining that ended the scoring. The Blue Hens were almost perfect from the free throw line, making 20 of 22 attempts on the night.

Delaware got the ball back on a missed Towson shot with the rebound going out of bounds to the Blue Hens with 11 seconds left.

Delaware put the ball in Johnson’s hands but he was surrounded near the paint and never got his shot off as final horn sounded.

Egerson led four Blue Hens in double figures. Hairston and Calvin Lee each had 13 for the Tigers. Lee tallied 11 of his points in the first half. Hairston added a game high nine rebounds.

Georgia State 76, Hofstra 55

Box Score

ATLANTA—Leonard Mendez scored a season-high 27 points on his Senior Night to lead Georgia State to a 76-55 victory over Hofstra (19-10, 10-7 CAA) Wednesday at the Georgia State Sports Arena, the Panthers’ (11-18, 10-7 CAA) fourth straight victory.

Mendez, the senior guard from Campbell High School in Smyrna, connected on 9-for-14 from the field with three three-pointers and went 6-for-6 from the line in his final home game. He came within two points of his career high, and he raised his career scoring total to 1,212 points to move into a tie for eighth place on the Panthers’ career scoring list. He is tied with Kevin Morris (1998-01) and stands just two points behind No. 7 Zavian Smith (1,214).

Fellow senior Rashad Chase, a 6-7 forward from Atlanta’s Mays High School, contributed seven points, eight rebounds, three assists and two steals.

“It’s a great thing to see both of those guys play well. That’s the way Senior Night is supposed to be,” said Georgia State head coach Rod Barnes. “These two have set an unbelievable foundation for us, and they have left their mark on Georgia State. I’m really proud of both of them, and I’m so thankful we could send them out win a win.”

Georgia State jumped on the Pride from outset, opening a 20-6 lead in the first six minutes en route to a 46-27 halftime advantage. The Panthers shot 61.5 percent in the half, including 7-for-11 on three-pointers.

After beginning the second half with a lull that allowed Hofstra to cut the deficit to 47-39, Mendez scored five straight points to put the Panthers ahead, 52-41, with 13 minutes left. After a Hofstra bucket by Charles Jenkins, Georgia State reeled off 13 straight points to build a 22-point lead at 65-43 with 7:28 to play.

A dunk by Joe Dukes off a feed from Mendez gave the Panthers their biggest lead at 72-46 with 4:49 left. State held Hofstra to just one field goal over a stretch of more than seven minutes from 11:55 until the 4:29 mark.

Georgia State shot 53 percent for the game, topping the 50 percent mark from the field for the fifth time in the last seven games.

Trae Goldston added 15 points for the Panthers, who managed to get the advantage on the boards, 29-26, against one of the CAA’s top rebounding teams.

 Jenkins, the second-leading scorer in the CAA, scored 19 points, for Hofstra.

“We shot the ball well, and we did a good job on the boards, which we knew would be key,” said Barnes. “Coming into the game we talked about two things; we talked about Jenkins and we talked about rebounding. Jenkins got his points -- he’s a just a great player – but the rebounding was key.

“We’re really a confident team right now,” continued Barnes, whose squad has won five of its last six games and six out of eight. “It’s a great thing this time of year to have a team that is having fun, enjoying coming to the practice and then going to the floor with confidence.”

The Panthers close the regular season with a trip to CAA leader VCU Saturday at 4 p.m. at the Siegel Center in Richmond, Va. The game will be televised on CSS.

Old Dominion 64, William & Mary 63

Box Score

NORFOLK, VA--Senior Jonathan Adams trey with 36 seconds left lifted the Monarchs of Old Dominion (19-9/11-6) to a 64-63 CAA win over William and Mary Wednesday night. Frank Hassell and Ben Finney each scored 13 points for ODU. The Monarchs leading scorer Gerald Lee did not play tonight because of a foot injury. He is listed day-to-day.
ODU led by one at halftime, 27-26, thanks to 50 percent (12-24) shooting from the floor. In the second half, the Monarchs led by nine, 49-40 after a Frank Hassell layup and free throw with 10:02 left in the game.
The Tribe rallied and tied the game at 53 on a three-pointer by Quinn McDowell with 5:16 left. In all there were 12 ties in the contest.
W&M led 58-57 on a layup by Peter Stein with 4:05 left. Adams then tied the game at 58 with a free throw. Kendrix Brow put the Tribe up 61-58 with a trey with 1:38 left, but Darius James came right back and nailed a three to tie it up again at 16 with 1:17 left.
After a W&M miss, Adamsn got the ball in the corner and the senior hit the trey similar to what he did in the season opening win at Charlotte. After a missed free throw by James, the Tribe missed the final shot.
Darius James added 11 points with five assists for ODU, and Kent Bazemore came off the bench to score 10 points. Frank Hassell led with four blocked shots nd Ben Finney had three steals. 

The Tribe was led by David Schneider with 22 points, 15 in the second half. He hit six treys, dished out seven assists and grabbed a game high six rebounds.
The victory puts the Monarchs in fourth with one game left. Both Drexel and Hofstra who ODU was tied with both lost tonight.

VCU 71, James Madison 52

Box Score

HARRISONBURG, Va. – Senior Eric Maynor (Raeford, N.C.) will have a chance to save the good stuff for the home crowd.

Maynor provided 18 points, falling two shy of breaking the Virginia Commonwealth University career scoring mark, and dished out eight assists in a 71-52 victory over James Madison Wednesday night at the JMU Convocation Center.

In addition, Northeastern held on to beat Drexel, 47-46, meaning Maynor can deliver both the scoring mark and a third straight Colonial Athletic Association regular season crown Saturday when VCU (20-9, 13-4 CAA) hosts Georgia State at the Stuart C. Siegel Center at 4 p.m., his final home game with VCU.

The Rams, who led 28-26 at halftime, used an 11-3 burst at the start of the second half to push ahead, 39-29, with 14:19 left. JMU trimmed the lead to three, at 45-42 with 7:31 left, but Maynor scored six points during a 14-2 salvo that gave the Black and Gold control.

Sophomore Larry Sanders (Fort Pierce, Fla.) added his seventh double-double of the season with 14 points, 11 rebounds and three blocked shots. He collected seven of those boards in the second half to help key a 22-16 VCU advantage on the glass.

Junior Kirill Pishchalnikov (Maykop, Russia) added four points and 10 rebounds for the Rams, while sophomore Joey Rodriguez (Oviedo, Fla.) kicked in 11.

Juwann James scored a game-high 19 points to spark James Madison (18-12, 9-8 CAA). The Dukes shot just 29 percent (6-of-21) in the second half and misfired on 18 of their 20 3-pointers in the game.