CAA Men's Basketball Weekly Report - Jan. 7
Jerrelle Benimon • Towson
Jr., F, 6-8, 245 - Warrenton, Va./Fauquier
Benimon averaged 18.5 points, 12.0 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 4.0 blocks as Towson picked up a pair of CAA road victories last week. The junior forward had a team-high 19 points, seven rebounds, a career-high tying five assists and a career-best five blocks as the Tigers handed UNCW its first home loss of the season, 69-64. He followed with a game-high 18 points, 16 boards, four assists and three blocks as Towson beat Drexel 69-66 to end the Dragons' 17-game CAA winning streak.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
R.J. Hunter • Georgia State
Fr., G, 6-5, 175 - Indianapolis, Ind./Pike
Hunter averaged 21.0 points and 6.5 rebounds in Georgia State's 1-1 week. The freshman guard scored a team-high 23 points and grabbed six boards in a 77-60 loss to Drexel and had a team-best 19 points and seven caroms in a 68-52 win over James Madison. For the week, Hunter shot 55.2% from the floor, including 6-of-12 from 3-point range.
Road Teams Go 7-2 In CAA Play Last Week: Road teams went 7-2 in CAA play last week and are 7-3 for the season. Towson is 2-0 in CAA play for the first time ever after victories at UNCW and Drexel last week and have won three in a row on the road for the first time since 1993. Northeastern, which is 2-0 in the CAA for the first time since 2008-09, defeated George Mason 84-74 on Thursday to end the Patriots' 18-game home CAA winning streak that dated back to 2010. Delaware won in Norfolk for the first time since 2003 as it topped ODU 84-72 in its CAA opener on Saturday. Drexel, Mason and JMU also picked up road conference victories last week.
Three CAA Players Among Nation's Top 13 In Rebounding: Delaware senior Jamelle Hagins leads the nation in rebounding with 12.7 rpg through games of Jan. 6. Hagins was one of three CAA players among the top 13 nationally in rebounding along with Towson's Jerrelle Benimon (5th/11.7 rpg) and UNCW's Keith Rendleman (13th/10.8 rpg). In other categories, Delaware's Devon Saddler was 22nd (19.8 ppg) and Mason's Sherrod Wright was 45th (18.2 ppg) in scoring, while Hagins was 23rd (58.1%) and W&M's Tim Rusthoven was 24th (56.5%) in FG percentage. GSU's James Vincent was 14th (2.8 bpg) and Hagins was 30th (2.4 bpg) in blocked shots.
Drexel Falls Short Of Consecutive CAA Wins Record: Drexel fell one victory shy of tying the CAA record for consecutive regular-season conference wins when it lost 69-66 to Towson on Saturday. The Dragons tied Richmond (1988-89) for the second-longest streak at 17 games after beating Georgia State 77-60 last Wednesday, but couldn't reach George Mason, which won 18 in a row from Jan. 12, 2011-Jan. 8, 2012.
GSU's Hunter Among Nation's Top Freshmen: Georgia State freshman guard R.J. Hunter is one of just five freshmen in the nation to average at least 16.0 points and 5.0 rebounds per game through Jan. 6. Hunter, who leads all CAA freshmen in scoring (16.2 ppg) and rebounding (5.9 rpg), has topped the 20-point mark six times this season.
Hagins, Rendleman Moving Up CAA Rebounding Chart: Delaware senior Jamelle Hagins and UNCW senior Keith Rendleman have both entered the top 15 on the CAA's career rebounding list. Hagins ranks 12th with 903 career boards and needs seven to pass ODU's Frank Hassell (909) for 11th. Rendleman ranks 15th with 892 career rebounds and needs four to leap over Richmond's Eric Poole (894) and Mason's Jai Lewis (895) into 13th. A complete list is included on page 6 of the release.
Delaware Has Big Day At Free Throw Line: Delaware scored nearly half of its points at the free throw line in an 84-72 victory at ODU last Saturday. The Blue Hens set a school record by making 41 free throws on 50 attempts. The 41 FT's tied the 5th-highest total in CAA history. Individually, UD's Jarvis Threatt scored all of his season-high 19 points from the charity stripe and tied a school record by going 19-of-20. The 19 FT's matched the second-highest total in CAA history.
Towson's Benimon Posts 20-20 At Oregon State: Towson junior forward Jerrelle Benimon scored 20 points and grabbed a career-high 21 rebounds in the Tigers' 67-66 victory at Oregon State on Dec. 29. Benimon became the first Division I player to tally 20+ points and 20+ rebounds in a game this season.
Coaches Teleconferences Begin On Jan. 8: The CAA will begin its weekly coaches teleconferences on Tuesday, January 8. All 11 CAA coaches will be available to answer questions from the media each Tuesday through March 5. A complete schedule and call-in information is included on Page 5 of this release. The teleconference will also be available live on CAASports.com.
Doubling Up: Delaware senior Jamelle Hagins and Towson junior Jerrelle Benimon are among the nation's top five in double-doubles. Hagins, who ranks second, posted his 10th with 11 points and 16 rebounds in a win at ODU last Saturday, while Benimon, who ranks fifth, got his ninth at Drexel last Saturday with 18 points and 16 rebounds. Seven other CAA players have multiple double-doubles: UNCW's Keith Rendleman (7), ODU's DeShawn Painter (5), JMU's Rayshawn Goins (3), Towson's Bilal Dixon (2), Northeastern's Quincy Ford (2), Northeastern's Reggie Spencer (2) and UNCW's Cedrick Williams (2).
UD's Saddler, Hagins Moving Up Career Lists: Delaware guard Devon Saddler has the second-most career points (1,291) of any junior in Division I, trailing only Creighton's Doug McDermott. Saddler, who is averaging a league-best 19.8 ppg this season, has also moved into a tie for 12th on UD's all-time scoring list. Blue Hens' forward Jamelle Hagins has 903 career rebounds and is just 14 shy of breaking UD's all-time record. He also ranks 7th in CAA history with 246 career blocked shots.
Youth Movement: There are just eight seniors among the top 30 scorers in the CAA through games of Jan. 6. Northeastern's Joel Smith, UNCW's Keith Rendleman and JMU's Rayshawn Goins are the only seniors among the top 10. The top 30 also includes 12 juniors, six sophomores and four freshmen.
Freshmen Among Steals Leaders: JMU guard Andre Nation ranks fourth in the CAA with 1.9 steals per game and is among five freshmen among the league's top 13 in steals. GSU's R.J. Hunter is 5th (1.8 spg), ODU's Keenan Palmore is 6th (1.8 spg), Northeastern's David Walker is 12th (1.4 spg) and Towson's Jerome Hairston is 13th (1.4 spg).
W&M Ranked 7th Nationally In 3-Point Defense: William & Mary ranked 7th in the nation in 3-point FG percentage defense at 26.3% according to the latest NCAA stats through games of Jan. 6. In other team categories, Towson was 41st (38.4%) in FG percentage defense and W&M was 31st in FG percentage (47.4%). Delaware was 10th (76.6%) in FT percentage and Old Dominion was 51st (+5.7 rpg) in rebound margin. Towson was ranked 29th (5.2 bpg) and Delaware was 38th (5.0 bpg) in blocked shots.
• Have won 3 in a row after beating Rider (73-66) and winning at ODU (84-72) for the first time since 2003.
• Senior Jamelle Hagins averaged 12.5 ppg and 16.0 rpg with double-doubles in both games last week. Hagins, who has a league-high 10 double-doubles, tops the CAA in rebounding (12.7 rpg) and FG% (58.1%) and is 2nd in blocks (2.4 bpg).
• Junior Devon Saddler, who tops the CAA in scoring (19.8 ppg), netted a team-high 27 points at ODU. Saddler has scored double digits in 20 straight games and has had at least 12 points in every game this season.
• Senior Josh Brinkley scored a season-high 17 points and grabbed 8 rebounds in only 18 minutes against Rider.
• Sophomore Jarvis Threatt scored a season-high 19 points at ODU by hitting a school-record 19-of-20 at the FT line. Threatt is averaging 16.0 ppg over his past 4 contests.
• Won 77-60 at Georgia State but fell 69-66 to Towson, ending the Dragons' CAA winning streak at 17 games.
• Frantz Massenat scored a season-high 25 points at GSU and 17 points vs. TU. He ranks 2nd in the CAA with 4.4 apg and is 11th in career assists (336) at DU. He's tallied double digits in nine of his last 11 games.
• Sophomore Damion Lee averaged 14.5 ppg last week. Lee has scored 14 or more points in each of his last 11 games and ranks third in the CAA in scoring with 18.1 ppg.
• Senior Daryl McCoy has grabbed double-digit rebounds in his past three games (12.3 rpg). He ranks 10th all-time in rebounds at Drexel (739).
• Drexel shot 53.1% from the floor at GSU, including 10-of-21 from three. The Dragons also had only eight turnovers.
• Senior Derrick Thomas contributed 15 points, six assists and three steals vs. TU.
• Suffered their first CAA home loss since 2010 to Northeatern (84-74), but rebounded for a 73-66 win at William & Mary.
• Junior Sherrod Wright scored a career-high 28 points at W&M and a team-best 19 points vs. NU. He has scored double digits in eight straight games and has 19+ points in his past six contests.
• Wright has been Mason's top scorer in 12 of 14 games and ranks among the CAA's top 4 in scoring, FG% and 3-point FG%.
• Corey Edwards added 10 points at W&M and is averaging 9.5 ppg over his past 4 games. He also averaged 6.0 apg last week.
• Junior Vertrail Vaughns hit three treys and scored a season-high 13 points vs. NU.
• Junior Jonathan Arledge just missed a double-double (9 pts/9 reb) vs. NU and chipped in 7 points at W&M.
• Lost 77-60 to Drexel but ended a five-game slide with a 68-52 victory over JMU.
• Guard R.J. Hunter, who leads all CAA freshmen in scoring (16.2 ppg) and rebounding (5.9 rpg), averaged 21.0 ppg and 6.5 rpg last week. He's scored double figures 12 times and has six 20-point outings.
• Junior guard Devonta White averaged 11.0 ppg and 5.0 apg last week. He's reached double digits in 14 of 15 games. White leads the CAA in steals and ranks 4th in assists.
• Manny Atkins had 15 points and a team-high 8 rebounds vs. JMU. Atkins, who is 2nd in the CAA in 3-pt FG% (42.1%), has scored double digits in 10 of his last 11 games.
• Sophomore Cameron Solomon scored a career-high 12 points in 19 minutes off the bench vs. Drexel.
• Senior James Vincent blocked eight shots vs. JMU and leads the CAA with 2.8 bpg. He's now 5th on GSU's career blocks list (104).
• Lost 61-57 at Florida Atlantic last Tuesday. Have dropped eight in a row.
• Sophomore guard Taran Buie had 13 points and six rebounds at FAU. The Penn State transfer has tallied double figures in eight straight games and 10 of his last 11 contests. Buie ranks 9th in the CAA in scoring.
• Senior Stevie Mejia contributed 13 points, seven rebounds, three assists and three steals at FAU. Mejia ranks 3rd in the CAA with 4.1 apg and has also scored double digits seven times.
• Freshman Jordan Allen had nine points and five rebounds at FAU. Allen is averaging 10.0 ppg over his last three games.
• Hofstra shot 55.6% from the floor in the first half to take a seven-point lead and were up 51-42 in the second half.
• Senior David Imes grabbed five rebounds at FAU to reach 450 caroms for his career.
• Beat ODU 58-55 but fell 68-52 at Georgia State, ending the Dukes' 4-game win streak.
• Senior Rayshawn Goins averaged 17.5 ppg and 12.5 rpg last week, including his 3rd double-double (19 pts/career-high 16 reb) at GSU. Goins ranks among the top 10 in the CAA in scoring, rebounding and FG%.
• Senior Devon Moore missed the ODU game due to family matters, but returned at GSU. Moore leads the CAA in assists (4.4 apg).
• Freshman Ron Curry started at point guard in place of Moore at ODU and had 13 points, 4 assists and only 1 turnover.
• The Dukes won in Norfolk for the first time since 2008 and snapped an eight-game overall losing streak to the Monarchs.
• Senior Andrey Semenov (10.0 ppg) suffered an ankle injury at ODU and is expected to miss several games.
• JMU used its sixth and seventh different starting lineups last week.
• Suffered first home loss (5-1) to Towson (69-64) and dropped to 0-8 on the road after a 68-64 setback at Northeastern.
• Keith Rendleman averaged 13.5 ppg and 17.5 rpg last week with double-doubles vs. TU (14pts/school-record 21reb) and NU (13pts/14reb). He has 7 double-doubles this season and ranks among the CAA's top 10 in scoring, rebounding and FG percentage.
• Junior Tanner Milson hit 6-of-9 threes and scored a team-high 20 points off the bench at Northeastern.
• Freshman Craig Ponder poured in a team-high 23 points on 9-of-13 FG shooting vs. Towson. Ponder is averaging 14.8 ppg over his last four games.
• Guard Tyree Graham drained 5-of-8 from 3-point range and scored a career-high 18 points in 15 minutes off the bench vs. TU.
• UNCW shot 66.7% in the first half but only 36.7% in the second half at Northeastern.
• Posted wins at Mason (84-74) and over UNCW (68-64) to start 2-0 in CAA play for the first time since 2008-09.
• Jonathan Lee scored a team-high 20 points at Mason and 10 points vs. UNCW. Lee has scored double digits in all 5 games since returning from a preseason foot injury and is averaging 15.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg and 4.8 apg.
• Senior Joel Smith tallied a team-high 23 points vs. UNCW, which was his 6th 20-point outing this season. He leads the CAA in FT% (86.3%) and 3-pointers (2.5 pg).
• Sophomore Quincy Ford added 18 points at Mason. He's scored double figures in his last 4 of his last 5 games and ranks among the CAA's top 20 in scoring and rebounding.
• Sophomore Demetrius Pollard scored a career-high 17 points in the UNCW win.
• Freshman Zach Stahl scored a career-high 15 points at Mason - all in the second half. Stahl was 5-of-8 from the floor, including 2-of-2 from 3-point range.
• Fell 58-55 to JMU and 84-72 to Delaware. ODU is 1-9 at home, but five of those losses have been by 5 points or less.
• Senior DeShawn Painter posted his fifth double-double (14 pts/13 reb) vs. JMU and had 13 points and 8 rebounds vs. UD. Painter is averaging 15.4 ppg and 9.3 rpg over his last seven games.
• Freshman guard Keenan Palmore had 14 points, 5 assists and 3 steals vs. UD, while freshman Deion Clark scored 13 points.
• ODU was outrebounded (43-39) for the first time by Delaware. The Monarchs lead the CAA in rebound margin (+5.7 rpg).
• Junior Donte Hill tied a career-high with 6 assists vs. JMU and made 4 steals vs. UD. Hill ranks 3rd in the CAA in steals (2.0 spg).
• Eight different ODU players have started at least 5 games this season. Hill is the only player to have started all 15 games.
• Posted wins at UNCW (79-74) and Drexel (69-66) last week. Off to a 2-0 CAA start for the first time ever and have won 3 in a row on the road for the first time since 1993.
• Jerrelle Benimon averaged 18.5 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 4.5 apg and 4.0 bpg last week. Benimon has 9 double-doubles over his past 13 games, six games with 16+ rebounds and four games with 20+ points.
• Junior Marcus Damas averaged 12.0 ppg and 6.5 rpg last week. He's scored double figures in five of his last six games.
• Freshman point guard Jerome Hairston averaged 10.5 ppg last week and committed just 3 turnovers in 59 minutes of action.
• The Tigers are outrebounding opponents by 5.5 rpg and have beaten 12 of their last 14 opponents on the glass.
• Center Bilal Dixon contributed 14 points and 8 rebounds at UNCW. Dixon is 11-of-14 from the floor over his last three games.
William & Mary
• Lost 64-50 at Vanderbilt and 73-66 to George Mason last week.
• Marcus Thornton scored a team-high 14 points at VU and 19 points vs. Mason. Thornton has tallied double digits in 15 straight games and ranks 4th in the CAA in scoring (18.0 ppg) and 2nd in treys (2.5 pg).
• Junior Tim Rusthoven posted his first double-double of the season (19 pts/11 reb) vs. Mason. He's scored double figures in 11 of 13 games and has grabbed 7 or more boards nine times.
• After going scoreless for the first time since 2010 at Vandy, junior Brandon Britt bounced back with 18 points, 3 assists and 3 steals vs. Mason.
• Junior Kyle Gaillard grabbed a team-high 10 rebounds at Vandy, which was his 2nd double-digit effort of the year.
• W&M leads the CAA in scoring offense (68.5 ppg) and FG percentage (47.4%).