CAA MBB Weekly Report - Feb. 27
Kent Bazemore • Old Dominion
Sr., G, 6-5, 195 - Kelford, N.C./Bertie
Bazemore averaged 28.0 points and 9.5 rebounds in ODU's 1-1 week. The senior guard scored a career-high 37 points and tied a career high with 12 rebounds in a narrow 73-72 loss to first-place Drexel and contributed 19 points and seven boards in a 65-60 overtime win at Georgia State. For the week, Bazemore shot 46.3% from the floor, including 5-of-11 from 3-point range.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Mike Moore • Hofstra
Sr., G, 6-5, 200 - New Haven, Conn./Hillhouse
Moore averaged 27.5 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals in Hofstra's 1-1 week. The senior guard had a game-high 30 points, four rebounds and three steals in a 93-64 win over UNCW and had a team-best 25 points and six boards in a 75-71 setback at William & Mary. For the week, Moore shot 45.5% from the floor, including 8-of-14 from three, and was 17-of-18 at the FT line.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Jarvis Threatt • Delaware
Fr., G, 6-2, 170 - Highland Springs, Va./Highland Springs
Threatt earns his third straight award after averaging 23.0 points, 4.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals as Delaware extended its winning streak to eight. The freshman guard scored a game-high 29 points in a 76-69 victory at Towson, including 17 in the final six minutes. He also had 17 points in an 82-72 triumph over Northeastern. For the week, Threatt shot 61.1% from the floor and was 21-of-25 (84%) from the free throw line.
Pairings Set For CAA Championship: The pairings are set for the Virginia 529 CAA Men's Basketball Championship, which will be held March 2-5 at the Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, Va. Drexel will be the #1 seed for the first time after capturing the regular-season title with 16 straight CAA wins following an 0-2 start. VCU clinched the #2 seed following an 89-77 victory over George Mason on Saturday, which dropped the Patriots to the #3 seed. Two-time defending champion Old Dominion earned the final first-round bye as the #4 seed. Tournament play opens Friday at Noon with #8 James Madison vs. #9 UNCW, followed by #5 Delaware against #12 Towson at 2:30 p.m. At 6 p.m., #7 Northeastern meets #10 William & Mary and #6 Georgia State takes on #11 Hofstra at 8:30 p.m.
Drexel Has Nation's 2nd-Longest Winning Streak: The top six teams in the CAA standings are all on impressive winning streaks. Drexel has won 17 games in a row and 23 of its last 24 overall as well as 16 straight at home. Drexel's winning streak is the 2nd-longest in the nation behind Kentucky (20) and is the longest win streak in the school's Division I history. Delaware has won eight straight games, which is its longest win streak since 2000 and is tied for the 9th-longest in Division I. VCU has captured 14 of its last 15 games, George Mason has won 10 of its last 13, Old Dominion has won eight of its last 11 and Georgia State has captured six of its last eight.
Piling Up The Wins: The CAA, Big 12 and West Coast are the only conferences in the country to have three teams with 23 or more wins this season through games of Feb. 26. VCU (25), Drexel (25) and George Mason (23) have all hit the mark. VCU has recorded six straight 24+-win seasons, Mason has four 20-win campaigns in the last five years and Drexel has reached 20 wins for the second year in a row.
Senior Salute: Several seniors turned in big performances in their final home games last Saturday. ODU's Kent Bazemore scored a career-high 37 points and tied a career-high with 12 rebounds against Drexel, while VCU's Bradford Burgess scored a career-best 31 points in a victory over George Mason. Three seniors excelled in Hofstra's win over UNCW as Mike Moore scored 30 points, Nathaniel Lester had 20 points and Dwan McMillan dished out a career-high 15 assists.
Close Games Last Week: Of the 12 CAA games played last week, two were decided in overtime (Mason/NU and ODU/GSU), one was decided by a single point (Drexel/ODU) and three others were decided by just four points (VCU/UNCW, Hofstra/W&M, GSU/W&M).
Drexel, VCU Receive Votes In National Polls: Drexel received 41 points in this week's Associated Press Top 25 poll and 30 points in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll, while VCU picked up 9 points in the AP poll and 1 point in the coaches' poll. The Dragons, who were tied for 27th in the coaches poll and ranked 30th in the AP poll, are 25-5 overall and have won 17 in a row, while the Rams are 25-6 and have won 14 of their last 15.
CAA And NBC Sports Group Reach Agreements For National Basketball Rights: The CAA has reached five-year agreements with the NBC Sports Group that will provide the most extensive and comprehensive exposure of the conference in its history. NBC Sports Network will provide national television coverage for a minimum of 12 men's basketball games each year, including the semifinals and finals of the CAA Men's Basketball Championship. The Comcast SportsNet regional networks will regionally televise 39 additional men's and women's basketball games, including the quarterfinals of the CAA Men's Basketball Championship. The agreements will begin with the 2012-13 season and run through 2016-17.
Road Teams Have Success: Home teams went 7-5 in CAA play last week, but visitors had good success in league play this season. In 108 conference contests, home teams were only 62-46 (.569). Drexel, Old Dominion and VCU went 7-2 in CAA road games this season, while Delaware, George Mason and Georgia State were 5-4.
GSU's Buckner Sets Blocked Shots Records: Georgia State senior Eric Buckner, who leads the CAA and ranks 5th nationally with 106 blocked shots, set the Georgia State single-season blocks record on Feb. 8 and has the 6th-most blocks in a season in CAA history. He's also the school's career leader in rejections with 153 in less than two seasons at GSU.
CAA Defenses Among The Best In The Nation: The CAA features some of the top defensive teams in the nation. As of Feb. 24, four teams - Drexel (55.7 ppg/6th), Georgia State (59.5 ppg/19th), VCU (59.6 ppg/20th) and Old Dominion (61.0 ppg/36th) were ranked among the nation's top 40 in scoring defense, while GSU (38.2%/8th), Drexel (38.7%/17th), Delaware (39.1%/22nd), George Mason (39.2%/23rd) and ODU (39.8%/31st) were among the top 35 nationally in FG percentage defense. Drexel is 5th in the nation (28.2%) in 3-point FG% defense. In steals, VCU leads in the nation (10.6 spg), GSU is 4th (9.4 spg) and ODU is 8th (9.1 spg). VCU is also 2nd in Division I in turnover margin (+6.1 tpg) and GSU is 23rd (+3.3 tpg), while the Rams are 2nd in the nation in opposition turnover rate (27%).
More On The Defense: The defensive numbers posted by CAA teams were even more impressive during conference play. Four teams held their opponents to under 59 points per game - Drexel (55.7 ppg), Old Dominion (57.8 ppg), Georgia State (57.8 ppg) and VCU (58.3 ppg). Conversely, no CAA teams averaged more than 69.8 ppg offensively in conference play. Five teams also limited opponents to 40% FG shooting or less in CAA play - GSU (36.6%), ODU (37.3%), Drexel (38.0%), Delaware (39.1%), and Mason (39.1%).
CAA Performs Well In BracketBusters: The CAA went 7-5 in Sears BracketBusters, including a perfect 3-0 mark in televised games. VCU defeated Northern Iowa 77-68 on Friday, while Drexel dominated Cleveland State 69-49 and Old Dominion won 73-67 at Missouri State on Saturday. CAA teams are now 19-10 in TV games over the last eight years, which is the best winning percentage (.655) of any participating conference in the history of the event. The top six teams in the CAA all won as George Mason held off Lamar, Delaware got past Hampton and Georgia State topped UT-San Antonio. Hofstra also beat in-state foe Siena.
W&M's McDowell Named Finalist For Lowe's Senior CLASS Award: William & Mary senior forward Quinn McDowell was named one of 10 finalists for the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award, which honors student-athletes who excel on and off the court. Honorees must have noteworthy accomplishments in community, classroom, character and competition. Other finalists include Ohio State's William Buford, Pitt's Aston Gibbs, Michigan State's Draymond Green, Belmont's Mick Hedgepeth, Purdue's Robbie Hummel, Butler's Ronald Nored, Michigan's Zack Novak, Penn's Zack Rosen and North Carolina's Tyler Zeller.
Changing Of The Guard: It's been a year of change around the CAA as many young players and newcomers are making an impact. As of March 2, there are nine seniors among the league's top 20 in scoring along with four sophomores and two freshmen. Last season, eight of the CAA's top 10 scorers were seniors.
Freshmen Making An Impact: Freshmen are seeing significant playing time around the CAA this season. All 12 CAA teams have at least one freshman on their team who is averaging better than 16 minutes per game and each CAA team has had a freshman start at least two games. Four freshmen are among the CAA's top 30 in scoring - UNCW's Adam Smith, Drexel's Damion Lee, W&M's Marcus Thornton and NU's Quincy Ford. Three are three among the top 15 in assists - Towson's Kris Walden, Delaware's Khalid Lewis and Mason's Corey Edwards - and two are in the top five in steals - VCU's Briante Weber, and NU's Ford. UNCW's Cedrick Williams is 16th in the league in rebounding (5.5 rpg).
VCU Records 18th Straight Sellout: VCU played before its 18th consecutive sellout crowd at the Siegel Center last Saturday vs. George Mason. The streak is a CAA record and the Rams are averaging 7,622 fans this season. Old Dominion, which leads the CAA with an average of 7,682 fans per game, has played before 14 crowds of better than 7,000 at the Constant Center this season, including sellout crowds of 8,460 for four of its last five games (W&M, JMU, VCU and Drexel). Drexel has had sellout crowds for five of its past eight home games. George Mason played before a sellout crowd of 9,840 against ODU on Feb. 4 and Georgia State played before its largest home crowd since Dec. 2008 on Jan. 12 against UNCW.
UD's Hagins Ranks 4th Nationally In Rebounding: Delaware junior Jamelle Hagins ranks 4th nationally in rebounding at 11.3 rpg according to the latest NCAA stats through games of Feb. 26. UNCW's Keith Rendleman is 12th in rebounds (10.5 rpg) and ODU's Chris Cooper is 17th (10.3 rpg). In other statistical categories, Hofstra's Mike Moore is 17th in scoring (20.0 ppg) and UD's Devon Saddler is 27th (18.7 ppg). GSU's Eric Buckner is 5th in blocks (3.5 bpg), UD's Hagins is 12th (2.9 bpg) and TU's Robert Nwankwo is 22nd (2.5 bpg). VCU's Briante Weber is 17th in steals (2.3 spg) and ODU's Kent Bazemore is 24th (2.2 spg). A list of CAA players among national leaders can be found on Page 4 of this release.
Three Players Moving Up CAA Career Lists: Drexel senior Samme Givens moved up to 6th on the CAA's all-time rebounding list with 1,010 boards and needs three more to pass UNCW's Brian Rowsom for fifth. Givens became the sixth player in CAA history to reach 1,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds last Wednesday. ODU senior Kent Bazemore ranks 3rd on the CAA's career steals list with 243 and needs seven more to vault past UNCW's Brett Blizzard into 2nd place. Towson senior Robert Nwankwo moved up to 7th on the CAA's all-time blocked shots list with 222.
Doubling Up: Seventeen CAA players have recorded two or more double-doubles this season. UNCW's Keith Rendleman has 16 double-doubles, including 12 in 18 CAA games, and ODU's Chris Cooper has also posted 16 double-doubles. Towson's Robert Nwankwo has 14 double-doubles, including 10 in his past 14 games, and Delaware's Jamelle Hagins also has 14 double-doubles, including seven that were recorded in consecutive games from Nov. 26-Dec. 19. George Mason's Ryan Pearson is close behind with 12 double-doubles. Rendleman, Cooper, Nwankwo and Hagins rank in the top 20 nationally in double-doubles. All 12 CAA teams have a player with at least one double-double.
VCU's Burgess Leads Nation In Consecutive Starts: VCU senior Bradford Burgess has made 141 consecutive starts, which is the longest active streak in Division I basketball and is the VCU and CAA all-time record. With two more starts, Burgess would pass Patrick Ewing's record of 142 straight starts at Georgetown. Burgess ranks second on the CAA's career scoring list among active players with 1,617 points.
• On an 8-game winning streak for the first time since 2000 after beating Towson 76-69 and Northeastern 82-72. Went undefeated in Feb. for first time since 1999 and clinched their first winning season since 2003-04.
• Delaware has set records for total CAA wins (12), consecutive CAA wins (7) and consecutive CAA road wins (4).
• Freshman Jarvis Threatt averaged 23.0 ppg last week, including a team-high 29 points at Towson. He's averaging 19.8 ppg over his last five contests.
• Devon Saddler, who is the CAA's 2nd-leading scorer (18.6 ppg), had a team-high 21 points vs. NU. He has 27 double-digit efforts in the last 29 games with 13 20+-point outings.
• Jamelle Hagins posted his 14th double-double (13pts/13reb) vs. Northeastern. He leads the CAA with 11.3 rpg and is 16th in scoring (12.7 ppg). Hagins is also UD's career blocked shots leader with 202.
• Delaware is shooting 81.8% (117-143) from the FT line over the last 5 games.
• Defeated JMU 78-61 and ODU 73-72 to earn their first CAA regular-season title. Set a school record with their 17th straight win and are 23-1 since Jan. 4. Drexel also has a 16-game home court win streak.
• Drexel's 16 CAA victories are its most since joining the league in 2001-02.
• Samme Givens averaged 15.0 ppg and 9.0 rpg last week and became the 6th player in CAA history with 1,000 pts and 1,000 reb in a career. Givens ranks 3rd on Drexel's career rebounds list (1010) and 6th on the CAA list. He's also scored 1,158 career points.
• Frantz Massenat averaged 11.5 ppg and 6.5 apg last week and extended his double-figure scoring streak to 13 games. He tops the CAA in 3-pt FG% (46.6%) and has made 58 of his last 63 FT's.
• Chris Fouch scored 15 pts at ODU and is averaging 14.4 ppg over his last 5 games.
• Freshman Damion Lee hit a career-high 6 treys and scored 24 points at ODU. It was Lee's 4th 20-point effort this season.
• Fell 85-82 in OT at Northeastern and 89-77 at VCU last week. It was Mason's first back-to-back losses this season.
• Ryan Pearson scored a team-high 24 points at VCU. He ranks 5th on Mason's career scoring list (1,616 pts) and 9th in career rebounds (799). He's scored double digits 28 times and has 12 double-doubles.
• Sherrod Wright averaged 12.0 ppg last week. He's scored double figures in 6 straight games and is averaging 12.7 ppg over that stretch while shooting 60% (27-45) from the floor.
• Mike Morrison had a season-high 19 points at NU and 10 points at VCU, which was his 15th double-digit game.
• Mason shot 52.6% from the floor at NU and 53.1% at VCU, which was the 5th time in 6 games they've shot better than 51%. The Patriots lead the CAA in FG% (46.5%)
• Bryon Allen recorded his first career double-double at NU with 10 points and a career-best 13 assists.
• Lost 65-60 in OT to ODU, but won 64-60 at W&M. Six of GSU's seven CAA losses were by 5 points or less, including three in OT.
• GSU's 11 CAA victories are its most ever and its 20 overall wins are the 4th-highest total in school history. The Panthers' 12 home court wins are tied for the 2nd-most ever.
• GSU is in the top 20 nationlly in scoring defense (59.5 ppg) and FG% defense (38.2%).
• Devonta White scored 22 pts at W&M and has scored double digits in 7 straight games. He's averaging 14.9 ppg over that stretch.
• Jihad Ali scored a team-high 20 pts vs. ODU. He's scored double digits in 9 of his last 10 games and is averaging 15.2 ppg over that period.
• Eric Buckner has a school-record and CAA-best 106 blocks this season and is GSU's career blocks leader (153). The 106 blocks are the 6th-most in CAA history.
• Rashaad Richardson has scored double figures in three of his last four games.
• Lost 75-71 at W&M before winning 93-64 over UNCW. The 93 points were a season high. The Pride's loss to W&M was their 7th CAA loss by 6 points or less.
• Mike Moore scored 25 pts at W&M and 30 vs. UNCW, which was his 14th straight game in double digits. Moore has a league-best 17 20+-point efforts and leads the CAA in scoring (20.0 ppg). He's been Hofstra's top scorer in 25 of 31 games.
• Nathaniel Lester averaged 19.0 ppg and 7.0 rpg last week and has tallied double figures in 22 of the past 23 games. He's averaging 15.3 ppg in CAA play. Lester and Moore have combined for over 52% of Hofstra's offense (1076-of-2041 points) this season.
• Hofstra made a season-high 12 3-pointers vs. UNCW and has drained double-digit treys in 2 of their last 3 contests.
• Dwan McMillan dished out a career-high 15 assists vs. UNCW, which was just one shy of the school record. McMillan leads the CAA with 4.9 apg.
• Fell 78-61 at Drexel, but rallied to beat Towson 65-59 in their home finale.
• Andrey Semenov hit 5-of-6 treys and scored a team-high 17 points at Drexel. He's averaging 16.4 ppg and is 23-of-37 (62.2%) from 3-point range over the past 5 games.
• Humpty Hitchens returned from a shoulder injury and scored 7 pts vs. Towson. Hitchens is 7th in the CAA in scoring, 5th in assists, 1st in 3's per game and 5th in 3-pt FG%. He's scored double figures 21 times.
• A.J. Davis has 16 double-figure outings in the last 19 games and ranks 4th in the CAA in scoring (16.2 ppg). Davis has 11 20-point games this season.
• JMU was 10-of-17 from 3-point range vs. a Drexel team that ranks 5th nationally 3-pt FG% defense. JMU has averaged 9.1 threes over its last 10 games.
• Devon Moore dished out 14 assists last week and moved up to 7th on JMU's career assist chart with 323.
• Suffered a 63-59 setback to VCU and were beaten 93-64 at Hofstra last week. UNCW has dropped six in a row.
• Keith Rendleman posted his CAA-best 16th double-double vs. VCU (24 pts/10 reb). He's scored double digits in 26 of his last 28 games and has 7 20+-pt efforts. Rendleman is 2nd in the CAA in rebounding (10.5 rpg) and is 5th in scoring (15.6 ppg).
• Adam Smith has 20 double-digit efforts and 6 20+ point games this season. Smith leads all CAA freshmen in scoring (14.0 ppg).
• Freshman Cedrick Williams had a team-high 11 rebounds vs. VCU. He's grabbed 8 or more boards in 4 of his last 6 games.
• Tanner Milson scored 11 points vs. VCU and Hofstra and has 5 double-figure efforts in the last 7 games. He's also dished out 22 assists in the last 5 contests.
• Donte Morales has 6 double-figure scoring efforts in his last 12 games.
• Rallied from a 10-point 2nd-half deficit to knock off George Mason 85-82 in OT, but fell 82-72 at Delaware.
• Jonathan Lee scored a career-high 27 points vs. Mason and has 17 double-digit effort in the past 18 games. Lee had tallied at least 9 pts in every game this year before being held scoreless at W&M on Feb. 11.
• Lee tied a NU single-game record by making 18-of-20 at the FT line vs. Mason.
• Joel Smith averaged 21.5 ppg last week, including 24 points at UD. Smith is averaging 20.8 ppg and is 18-of-35 (51.4%) from 3-point range over the last 4 games. Smith ranks 6th in career treys at NU with 156.
• Senior Kashief Edwards doubled his previous career-high with 22 points vs. Mason. Edwards had scored just 22 points in the previous 5 games combined.
• Freshman Quincy Ford has 13 double-digit scoring efforts in the last 17 games. He's 23rd in the CAA in scoring and 3rd in steals.
• Won 65-60 in OT at Georgia State but lost 73-72 to Drexel last week. Have won 8 of their last 11. ODU has played a school-record 6 OT games and is 4-2 in those games.
• Kent Bazemore set career highs with 37 pts and 12 reb vs. Drexel and is averaging 26.8 ppg over his last 4 gms. He's scored double figures in 19 of the last 21 games and is averaging 16.2 ppg and 6.5 rpg in CAA play. He's 3rd on the CAA's career steals list (243).
• Chris Cooper averaged 11.5 ppg and 14.0 rpg last week and has a league-best 16 double-doubles for the season. He ranks 3rd in the CAA in rebounding (10.3 rpg) and 26th in scoring (10.6 ppg).
• Trian Iliadis, who averaged 8.5 ppg and was 2nd on the team in assists (70) and steals (46) is out for the year with a knee injury.
• Dimitri Batten had 13 pts at GSU and 12 pts vs. Drexel. He has scored 8+ pts in 6 straight games and is averaging 7.8 ppg for the year.
• ODU has shot better than 48% from the floor in 3 of its last 6 games.
• Lost 76-69 to Delaware and 65-59 at JMU. Held an 11-point lead with 18:54 left at JMU, which was its largest of the year.
• Robert Nwankwo posted his 14th double-double vs. UD (12 pts/14 reb). Nwankwo has 10 double-doubles in the last 14 games. He's among CAA leaders in scoring (12.0 ppg/20th), rebounding (9.8 rpg/4th) and blocks (2.5 bpg/3rd).
• Nwankwo has been Towson's top rebounder in 27 of 31 games this season and ranks 5th on the Tigers' career rebound list with 786.
• Towson outrebounded UD 39-33 and has beaten 11 of its last 13 foes on the glass.
• Marcus Damas scored a team-high 21 points vs. UD and had 17 pts at JMU. He has tallied double digits in 18 of the last 25 games and has 22 double-figure efforts for the season.
• Freshman Kris Walden scored all of his 18 points in the 2nd half vs. UD and had a career-best 23 points at JMU. He shot 50% from the floor for the week.
• Won 63-59 at UNCW and 89-77 over Mason for their 14th victory in the last 15 games.
• VCU has won 24 or more games for the sixth straight season and is 22-3 this season since Nov. 30.
• Bradford Burgess scored a career-high 31 pts vs. Mason and is averaging 18.7 ppg over his last 6 games. He's the 3rd player in VCU history with over 1,600 points and 700 rebounds in a career.
• Juvonte Reddic averaged 16.0 ppg and 10.0 rpg last week and has posted 5 double-doubles in the last 11 games. He's averaging 11.9 ppg and 7.5 rpg in CAA play.
• Rob Brandenberg scored a season-high 21 points off the bench at UNCW.
• Troy Daniels leads the CAA with 83 treys and is shooting 39.7% from 3 in CAA play.
• The Rams have made 81 steals in the last 5 games and lead the nation with 10.6 spg.
• VCU's three CAA losses this season have been by a combined total of 9 points.
William & Mary
• Defeated Hofstra 75-71, but fell 64-60 to Georgia State last week.
• Quinn McDowell, who had team-highs of 21 pts and 7 reb vs. Hofstra, ranks 6th on W&M's all-time scoring list with 1,615 pts and is the 4th player in W&M history with 1,500 pts and 500 reb in a career. He owns the W&M record for career games (125).
• Brandon Britt scored 14 pts vs. Hofstra, including a key trey with 18 seconds left. He's tallied double figures in 4 of his last 5 games and is averaging 13.6 ppg in that stretch.
• W&M shot a season-best 55.6% from the floor vs. Hofstra and was 10-of-25 from 3.
• Freshman Marcus Thornton scored 10 points vs. GSU. Thornton has reached double figures 17 times this year.
• Tim Rusthoven is averaging 11.6 ppg and 7.8 rpg over the last five games.
• JohnMark Ludwick had 10 pts and 5 reb. vs Hofstra in just his 4th game of the season.