MBB Notebook - March 29
Some CAA men's basketball news and notes from the past week:
- George Mason senior forward Ryan Pearson was selected as an Associated Press honorable mention All-American. He's just the third Patriots' player to earn All-America accolades. Pearson, the 2012 CAA Player of the Year, led the team and ranked third in the league in scoring with 17.0 points per game. He was also fifth in the conference in rebounding (8.2 rpg) and seventh in FG percentage (50.3%) and recorded 12 double-doubles. Pearson ranks fifth on Mason's all-time scoring list (1,626 points) and seventh on the career rebounding list (806).
- Drexel head coach Bruiser Flint was named the NABC District Coach of the Year. Flint, who also received CAA Coach of the Year honors for the fourth time in 2012, guided the Dragons to a school-record 29 victories and their first CAA regular-season title. Drexel advanced to the quarterfinals of the NIT.
- VCU senior Bradford Burgess will take part in two showcase events as part of the Final Four festivities in New Orleans. Burgess will participate in the ESPN College Three-Point Championships on Thursday night (9-11 p.m.) and will be a member of the West team in the NABC Reese's All-Star Game on Friday afternoon (4:35 p.m.). Burgess averaged 13.4 points and 5.0 rebounds per game for the Rams this season and ranks fourth on VCU's all-time scoring list with 1,684 points.
- Several CAA players were honored on various teams by basketball website CollegeInsider.com. ODU senior guard Kent Bazemore was named to the Lefty Driesell Defensive All-America team after ranking second in the CAA with 74 steals. Bazemore, who is a two-time CAA Defensive Player of the Year, ranks second on the CAA's all-time steals list with 250. Drexel freshman guard Damion Lee was named to the Kyle Macy Freshmen All-America team. Lee, who was honored as the CAA Rookie of the Year, averaged 12.0 points and 4.4 rebounds per game for the Dragons. Bazemore, Drexel sophomore guard Frantz Massenat and George Mason senior forward Ryan Pearson were among 25 players honored on the Lou Henson Mid-Major All-America team.
- ODU's Kent Bazemore and VCU's Bradford Burgess have been invited to participate in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament from April 11-14. The event serves as a showcase for players looking to continue their careers on the professional level.