Article Image
Courtesy: CAA/Mark Campbell
Delaware's Guillermo Delgado scored his 15th goal vs. St. John's

CAA Teams Eliminated In NCAA MSOC First Round

Courtesy: CAA
          Release: 11/21/2013
Send this article to a friend Print RSS

All three CAA men's soccer teams were eliminated in the first round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship on Thursday night.

George Mason 2, William & Mary 2 (2ot) (Mason adv. 4-2 on PK's)

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - The William and Mary men’s soccer team dropped a hard-fought match to George Mason in the First Round of the 2013 NCAA Men’s Soccer College Cup. After 110 minutes and a 2-2 draw, the contest went into penalty kicks from which the Patriots prevailed in, for the win 4-2. 

William and Mary concludes the 2013 season with a final record of 11-5-3, while George Mason, who advances to play New Mexico on Sunday, goes to 12-2-5. The match was played in front of a season-high crowd of 1,109.

The Tribe opened up the offensive attack to start the match, with a pair of shots in the second and eight minute. Both shots were taken by junior Chris Albiston, and both sailed just wide of the cage.

George Mason had a pair of chances in the 13th minute. Hugh Roberts headed a shot towards the frame, but the shot was blocked. The deflection went right back to Roberts, who headed it back towards goal, however the chance was saved by redshirt freshman goalkeeper Mac Phillips.

The Patriots broke the scoreless tie in the 34th minute. Timi Mulgrew had an open look, but his first shot was blocked. The rebound came right back to his foot, and he directed into the right corner of the goal. The tally gave the Patriots a 1-0 lead.

Just two minutes later the Tribe responded and knotted the match 1-1. Off of a corner kick sent in by senior Chris Perez, the ball was deflected out of the box. The deflection, however, landed on the foot of senior Roshan Patel, who uncorked a shot into the right upper corner of the net. The tally, which came in the 36th minute, was the third of the season for Patel and tied the game 1-1.

Right before the half senior Ben Coffey had a pair of looks from just inside the penalty area. His first shot was saved by Mason goalkeeper Steffen Kraus, however the rebound came right back to Coffey. Again he tried a shot, but Kraus recovered in time to make the save.

At the break the game remained tied at 1-1. William and Mary did hold an 11-5 advantage in shots, including 6-2 advantage in shots on goal.

George Mason broke the tie again in the 72nd minute. Zach Herstek sent a feed to Wes Sever, who had space and took it. As Sever enter the box he took a shot and scored in the lower right corner of the goal. The score push Mason’s lead to 2-1.

William and Mary didn’t quit, and found the equalizer in the 79th minute of the match. Sophomore Jackson Eskay collected a loose ball and drove the box. From about 22 yards, the Urbana, Md. native fired a shot into the top left corner of the goal. The tally, which was Eskay’s team-leading eighth of the season, tied the match 2-2.

Neither team found the game-winner in the final 11 minutes of the match, and the game headed for overtime.

The Tribe had the only shot fired in the first overtime period. In the 95th minute, freshman Reilly Maw was able to get a shot off, but it was saved by Kraus.

In the second overtime, the game opened up and each team had chances to find the game-winning goal. The Tribe’s chance came first when Perez took a shot that was blocked. Mason had a pair of shots in the second overtime. Brice Colcombe fired a shot high in the 105th minute and Sever missed high as well in the 109th minute.

After the two overtimes, the match proceeded to penalty kicks. Mason won the best- of-five penalty kicks by a score of 4-2.

For the match, William and Mary outshot the Patriots 24-9, including a 10-4 advantage in shots on goal. Kraus made eight saves for George Mason.

St. John's 2, Delaware 1 (ot)

NEWARK, Del. – The University of Delaware men’s soccer team fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to St. John’s, 2-1, in double overtime Thursday evening at Delaware Mini-Stadium.

Delaware (14-5-1) compiled a great comeback effort against St. John’s as the Blue Hens tied the game in the last two minutes of regulation. Freshman phenom Guillermo Delgado scored the game-tying goal in the 88th minute off Delaware’s fourth corner opportunity of the match. Prince Nartey took the corner that found the head of senior Mark Garrity.  Garrity headed the corner to the foot of Delgado who placed a shot into the left side of the net.

With just 1:24 remaining in overtime, Jordan Rouse scored his biggest goal of the season  to clinch the win for the Red Storm. After a scrum in front of the net, Jelani Williams hit Rouse with a pass that allowed him to register the game-winning goal. St. John’s (11-6-2), making its 20th NCAA Tournament appearance, now advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament and will face the University of Virginia on Sunday, Nov. 24 at 1 p.m.

St. John’s got on the board first when the Red Storm scored a goal in the 17th minute to take an early lead over the Hens. Gabriel Camara scored his first goal of the season to give St. John’s an early lead. St. John's is now 41-1-1 since 2010 when scoring the first goal of the game. 

“Congratulations to St. John’s for advancing,” said Delaware head coach Ian Hennessy. “Getting to this stage is difficult and winning here versus a very good Delaware team is also difficult. It is very important that we realize that this is their moment and we want to show them respect and congratulate them on the victory.”

Delaware junior keeper Borja Barbero registered three saves in the loss and finishes his first season as a Blue Hen with a 13-4-1 overall record.

Old Dominion 5, Drexel 1

NORFOLK, Va. – The Drexel men's soccer team saw its season come to an end on Thursday night in the first round of the NCAA Tournament as it fell at Old Dominion, 5-1. Drexel saw the Monarchs take a lead in the fourth minute of the game and add two more scores before the game was 17 minutes old. Jared Girard scored for the Dragons, his third goal of the season.

The Dragons end their season 9-8-4 after winning the regular season and tournament championships in the Colonial Athletic Association and earning their second-straight NCAA Tournament bid. Old Dominion (11-5-1) will move on to face No. 6 seed Georgetown on Sunday afternoon.

Tim Hopkinson, the Conference-USA leader in points per game, scored twice in the first 15 minutes to put Old Dominion out in front. Jesse Miralrio added a goal and an assist. Girard scored the Dragons' goal midway through the second half off a set piece feed from Guido Pena. Despite the loss, Girard etched his name in the Drexel men's soccer record books with that score, the first by a Dragon in NCAA Tournament play since the first round of the 1963 tournament.

Old Dominion got on the board just under four minutes into the contest. Jesse Miralrio broke free in the box, charging up to the right of Drexel goalkeeper Tyler Afflerbach. His shot rocketed past Afflerbach, but hit off the crossbar and straight down without breaking the plane of the goal mouth. With the Dragons trying to pick up the loose ends on the broken play, Old Dominion's leading goal scorer, Tim Hopkinson, got behind Afflerbach and headed it home for the game's first goal.

Twelve minutes later, Hopkinson and the Monarchs struck again. Taking a feed from Ivan Militar up the middle, a streaking Hopkinson roped a shot past Afflerbach to give the Monarchs a two-goal cushion. That was followed just under one minute later when the Monarchs intercepted a Drexel clear up the left side. Cole Stringer brought the ball into the box and laced one that ticked off the crossbar, this time continuing through to the back of the net.

The Monarchs got their fourth goal less than two minutes into the second half on just their sixth shot of the night. Miralrio struck from straight on, 15 yards out, in the 47th minute to add to the Old Dominion cushion.

Drexel got one its best looks of the night with about 30 minutes remaining when senior midfielder Ken Tribbett had two shots that just narrowly missed going on net. The first was a bicycle kick from short range, just to the right of Old Dominion netminder Sean Stowe. Tribbett connected while spinning through the air, but his shot went just to the left of the post, wide and out of play. Moments later, after the Dragons regained possession, they worked the ball to Tribbett 15 yards out in the middle of the box. He got a foot on a high bouncing ball, but couldn't keep it down as it sailed just over the crossbar.

In the 69th minute, the Dragons finally broke through. A hard foul by the Monarchs gave Drexel a free kick from 40 yards out. Guido Pena took the shot, directly on goal where Stowe mishandled the knuckling shot. It trickled behind him, allowing Jared Girard to duck behind the keeper and tap the ball home. It was his third goal of the season, and the first assist for Pena.

Drexel had another look in the 75th minute when John Grosh curled in a beautiful ball off a set piece from the left elbow, 30 yards out. It buzzed just over the defenders' heads, forcing Stowe to make a save with a partially blocked view of the play. In the 81st minute, Joaquin del Rosario attempted to net the Dragons' second goal but was turned away when his header was punched out of bounds on a nice lunging save by Stowe.

In the end, however, the Old Dominion lead proved too much to overcome, as the Monarchs walked away with the victory, adding a late goal in the 90th minute for the exclamation point.