Article Image
Courtesy: CAA
W&M's Jeff Bombelles

W&M Men's Soccer Knocks Off #1 Creighton, 3-2

Courtesy: CAA
          Release: 09/15/2013
Send this article to a friend Print RSS
NORFOLK, Va. – Redshirt freshman Jeff Bombelles scored the game-winning goal in the 107th minute, lifting the William and Mary men’s soccer team to a victory over No. 1 Creighton. The match was a part of the Stihl Soccer Classic hosted by Old Dominion.

With the victory, the Tribe improves to 2-2-1 on the season, while the Bluejays fall to 4-1-0.

“I was very pleased with the result,” said head coach Chris Norris. “I thought it was a very well played college soccer match. It was even game in terms of statistics and chances. It is always great to get a result against a top team like Creighton. Once we got down in the second half, I thought we picked up the tempo and played much stronger. In the end I thought we deserved to get the equalizer and the winner.”

The Tribe wasted little time getting its offense going. In the fourth minute senior Chris Perez found junior Josh West on a give-and-go. West collected the pass and put the ball in the back of the net, giving W&M a 1-0 advantage.

Just six minutes later Creighton found the equalizer. In a scramble in the box, Sean Kim was able to find Marvin Iskra open in the box. Iskra controlled the pass and knotted the score 1-1.

The rest of the first half remained tied at 1-1. At the break, Creighton held a 7-3 advantage in shots, including a 3-1 lead in shots on goal.

Creighton gained its first lead of the match in the 64th minute. Off of a shot from Eric Miller, Kim fired the rebound into the back of the net, making the score 2-1. Miller was credited with an assist for Creighton.

The Green and Gold would not be denied and found the equalizer in the 82nd minute. Sophomore Jackson Eskay found junior Chris Albiston just outside of the box. Albiston drove and fired the ball into the back of the net, tying the score 2-2.

William and Mary and Creighton played the final eight minutes of regulation even. The match headed to overtime tied at 2-2.

The Tribe controlled the first overtime, firing the period’s only five shots. Eskay, redshirt senior Ben Coffey, and freshman Reilly Maw all put shots on frame, but each shot was saved by Creighton keeper Alex Bolowich. The game remained tied and headed to double overtime.

Creighton fired the first shot of the second overtime period. Fabian Herbers uncorked a shot, but redshirt freshman keeper Mac Phillips was there for the save. On the afternoon, Phillips recorded six saves for the Tribe.

In the 106th minute, Perez started a counter attack for the Tribe, finding Coffey out wide. Coffey drove the outside and sent a low cross into the box. The cross found Bombelles, who one-timed the ball into the goal, lifting W&M to a 3-2 victory.  

The win, was the first win over the No. 1 team in the country since 2004. That season W&M defeated No. 1 Maryland at Martin Family Stadium . Under Norris, the Tribe is now 2-1-0 against the top-ranked team in the country.

William and Mary returns to action and continues its season-long five-match road trip on Friday, Sept. 20 when they take on Elon. The match is set for 7:30 p.m.