Article Image
Courtesy: CAA
W&M's Chris Albiston

W&M, Delaware Advance To MSOC Semifinals

Courtesy: CAA
          Release: 11/09/2013
Send this article to a friend Print RSS

William & Mary 1, Hofstra 0

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – Junior Chris Albiston’s goal in the 37th minute lifted the William and Mary men’s soccer team to a 1-0 victory over Hofstra in the CAA Quarterfinals on Saturday night.

William and Mary improves its record to 10-4-2, while Hofstra drops to 8-6-4 on the season. The 10-wins are the Tribe’s most victories since 2011. 

The Tribe had the fist opportunity of the night in the sixth minute. Junior Marcus Luster, who was on a on a breakaway, fired a shot past the Hofstra goalkeeper, but the ball hit off of the post and was cleared.

Hofstra's first chance came in the 15th minute. Chris Griebsch put a shot on target, but redshirt freshman goalkeeper Mac Phillips came up with the save. In the 27th minute Griebsch again put a shot on frame, but the result was the same, with Phillips making the stop.

William and Mary broke the scoreless tie in the 37th minute. Redshirt senior Ben Coffey sent a long pass that found freshman Reilly Maw. Maw, who got tied up with a defender, was able to feed a pass to Albiston. Albiston, who was on a one-versus-one with the goalie, fired his shot into the lower left corner of the net. The goal, which was the fourth of the season for Albiston, gave the Tribe a 1-0 lead.

At the break, William and Mary held the 1-0 advantage. The Tribe was outshooting Hofstra 7-4, but the Pride had a 3-1 advantage in shots on goal.

One of the Pride’s best chances of the night came in the 51st minute, when Griebsch was able to get another shot off. This time he hit the shot off of the post and the ball was cleared away. Again in the 63rd minute Hofstra had another strong look. Reece Alexander put a shot on frame, but senior defender Will Smith was there to clear it away, earing a team save.

William and Mary had multiple chances in the second half to extend its lead, but pushed many shots high and wide. The only shot that went on target came in the 88th minute. Senior Zachary Montebell uncorked a shot, but it was saved by Hofstra keeper Patric Pray.

Hofstra’s final shot of the night came in the final seconds of the match. Pushing everybody forward, Rory Murphy was able to get off a shot, but he sent it high as time expired.

For the evening, Phillips recorded five saves in goal for William and Mary. The Rocky Mount, Va. native recorded his CAA-best ninth shutout in goal tonight. The mark ties him for the best single-season mark by a Tribe goalkeeper and places him eighth on the career list.

William and Mary held a slight 15-14 advantage in shots. However, the Pride put six shots on frame compared to just two by the. Tribe.

The College advances to the CAA Semifinals, and will play the No. 2 seed UNCW Seahawks on Thursday Nov. 14. The match, which will be played in Philadelphia, Pa., is set to kickoff at 4 p.m.

Delaware 1, Northeastern 0 (2ot)

 NEWARK, Del. – Senior tri-captain Roberto Giménez of the University of Delaware men’s soccer team led the Blue Hens to a 1-0 double overtime victory over defending Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Champions, Northeastern, on a penalty kick score in the second quarterfinal match of the 2013 CAA Tournament at Delaware Mini-Stadium Saturday evening.

The No. 4 seeded Blue Hens (14-4-0) defeated the No. 5 seeded Huskies (6-9-3) for the first time this season after Northeastern handed Delaware a 2-0 loss, and its only shutout of the season, back on Oct. 16 in Brookline, Mass.

Delaware will advance to the semifinals of the CAA post-season tournament for the second time in three years. The Blue Hens will face the No. 1 seeded Drexel Dragons on Thursday, Nov. 14 in Philadelphia. Game time is to be determined. Drexel also earned a regular season victory over Delaware. The Dragons gave the Hens their first home loss of the season, 2-1 on Oct. 19.

After both teams played over 105 minutes throughout 4 frames of scoreless soccer, Delaware finally received the break its was looking for all match. Giménez had a great breakaway run for Delaware in the 106th minute of the second overtime and was fouled hard in the box by a Husky defender giving Giménez the opportunity to win the match for Delaware on a penalty kick. Giménez took full advantage of the opportunity ripping the penalty kick shot into the right side of the net passed NU goalkeeper Dylan Faber as the Hens celebrated the victory.

“I thought it was an excellent game, I give Northeastern credit,” said head coach Ian Hennessy. “They were in Wilmington, N.C. on Wednesday and had to fly home Thursday then traveled down here Friday for our match on Saturday. I thought it was a very spirited effort on their behalf, to hang in with us and the good soccer we played tonight in front of a wonderful crowd. It was dramatic, which kept the crowd entertained. Overtime can sometimes be a bit much for people in the cold. Northeastern’s keeper was very good tonight and Roberto’s finish was just the kind of climax we wanted at the very end because we were just about to go to penalty kicks.”

Delaware keeper Borja Barbero continued his excellence play at the helm of the Blue Hen defense. Barbero stopped all five shots he faced this evening as he earned his sixth shutout of the 2013 campaign. The junior now owns a 13-4 overall record.