Article Image
Courtesy: CAA
Junior Dante Marini (#14) scores the game-winning goal against Boston College.

Northeastern Advances In NCAA Men's Soccer

Courtesy: CAA
          Release: 11/15/2012
Send this article to a friend Print RSS

Northeastern advanced to the second round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship on Thursday with a 1-0 victory over Boston College. Drexel and Old Dominion were eliminated as the Dragons fell 2-0 to Brown and the Monarchs fell 4-2 on penalty kicks after a 0-0 draw with UMBC.

Northeastern 1, Boston College 0

Junior Dante Marini's goal was the difference as the Northeastern men's soccer team (14-2-4) defeated Boston College (8-6-5) in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Thursday night at Parsons Field. With the victory, the Huskies' first-ever against the Eagles, NU broke the program record for most wins in a season, which was originally set in 2001.

The Huskies now advance to the second round of the national tournament, and will square off with Connecticut on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Marini's goal came in the 14th minute of play on a throw in from Nikko Lara. Don Anding was also credited with an assist. Senior goalkeeper Oliver Blum tied a career-high with nine saves as the Huskies tied the program record for most shutouts in a season.

Boston College outshot NU 17-10 for the match, including a 13-7 mark in the second half. NU generated two corner opportunities to the Eagles' one.

Despite an even statistical first half, it was the Huskies who carried the play through the first 45 minutes. Boston College held a 4-3 edge in shots, Blum made three saves in the opening frame.

The Eagles earned an early free kick from nearly 30 yards out, and Kyle Bekker's shot was recovered by Blum to his left.

NU struck in the 14th minute as Marini buried his first goal of the season. Off a Lara front flip throw in from the right side, Anding redirected the ball to the left of the cage. That's where Marini was waiting to knock in his first goal in 21 matches.

Northeastern thought it went up by two in the 27th minute off another Lara throw in. Anding once again headed the ball towards the left of the cage, but Marini was whistled for offsides just as he went to net his second of the night.

The start of the second half saw back and forth action between the squads, with both keepers being tested early. Andre Ciliotta took the ball to the top of the box before being clipped, but the official let the players carry on as Anding sent a low shot into Luthy's stomach.

At the other end, Blum stood tall as Derrick Boateng fired a shot from the left side that the Husky keeper easily controlled.

The Eagles put heavy pressure 11 minutes into the second half as Nick Corliss' shot in the box was blocked before Colin Murphy sent a laser just over the crossbar from 30 yards out.

Northeastern dodged a bullet in the 62nd minute as B.C. chipped the ball over the NU back line, where Boateng sent a soft shot just over the cross bar. The Huskies would respond less than a minute later as Simon Cox collected a loose ball and sent a turnaround shot on goal that was saved by Luthy.

NU continued to pressure the ball as Marini sifted through the Eagle defense before dishing to Anding. Anding took a quick touch before sending a shot on goal that was blocked by the defense. Seconds later, Donovan Fayd'Herbe de Maudave tried the thread a shot into the top left corner, but Luthy just got a glove on it to knock it out of bounds for a NU corner.

Blum came up big in the 81st minute as Stefan Carter got open and sent a shot on goal from point blank range, but Blum was there to aggressively knock the ball away and secure the Husky win.

UMBC 0, Old Dominion 0 (UMBC adv. 4-2 on PK's)

NORFOLK, VA-The ODU Soccer Monarchs (11-3-3) and UMBC Retrievers (11-4-6) battled for 110 minutes to a 0-0 draw, but UMBC advances to the next round by winning the penalty kick shootout, 4-2 in the NCAA first round matchup at the ODU Soccer Complex. UMBC will meet ninth seeded North Carolina Sunday at 5 p.m.

In the shootout senior co-captain Chris Harmon and sophomore Ivan Militar made their shots, but the other two were blocked. UMBC's Milo Kapor and Kansaye made the first two shots and after ODU's goalkeeper Victor Francoz stopped Liam Padddock's shot, the Retrievers Kadeem Dacres and Dave Heath made the clinching shots to advance.

Both teams had three shots on goals and the goalkeepers made the saves. ODU's first opportunity came at the 26:07 mark when UMBC's Phil Saunders stopped the first of two Ivan Militar shots. He also stopped a shot by Jordan LeBlanc with a little less than 10 minutes left in regulation.

ODU's Francoz stopped UMBC's Mamadou Kansaye once in each half as well as Michael Scott's close range attempt.

Brown 2, Drexel 0

PHILADELPHIA - A season to remember came to an end on Thursday night in front of a cold but large Vidas Field crowd, as the Drexel men's soccer team fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, 2-0 to Brown. Drexel was shutout for just the second time all year as they ceded two first-half goals that were enough to help Brown move on.

The Dragons came out strong out of the gates, getting possession and pushing it deep into Brown territory. However, they were unable to connect on a few crossing passes and were unable to get a shot off.

Brown got on the board in the 17th minute. Taking their second corner kick of the afternoon, the Bears got a perfect entry pass from Dylan Remick, finding Thomas McNamara who leapt for a header in front of the goalmouth. His shot was placed perfectly in the upper right corner of the net, out of the reach of the Drexel goalkeeper Tim Washam.

After a few more looks by the Dragons, Brown got its second goal late in the first half, scoring in the 42nd minute. Again it was Remick who got the assist, feeding a long cross from the corner to Daniel Taylor, whose header deflected off the crossbar and down into the net.

The second half saw an aggressive Drexel team peppering the Brown defense with shots. Two in particular were narrow misses for the Dragons, starting in the 57th minute when John Grosh drove a beautiful ball that seemed destined for the same corner of the goal that McNamara's ball had wound up. With Brown goalkeeper Sam Kernan-Schloss out of position on the ball, he got help from teammate Eric Robertson who lunged to get a head on the ball, altering its course just enough to send it up and over the crossbar and out of play. The Dragons got a corner out of the play, but could do no damage.

Later in the 74th minute, Grosh again had a good chance. With the ball near the top of the box, Grosh send an arching, soft shot that cleared the heads of the Brown defenders and had Kernan-Schloss beat, but sailed just high and again, over the crossbar and out of play.

The Dragons would put four more shots up before time ticked down, but could not solve the Brown defense as they saw their season come to an end.