CAA Annual Meeting Report
RICHMOND, Va. (June 13, 2012) - The Colonial Athletic Association concluded its annual meetings on Tuesday as the conference's Council of Presidents met in Washington, D.C. The group discussed a wide range of topics and gave final approval on a number of recommendations made by the athletics directors during last week's Spring Meetings.
"This was the first opportunity for our Presidents to meet in person since the conference realignments began last April," CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager said. "I was impressed by the commitment and camaraderie expressed throughout the day, which produced an aggressive growth agenda to strengthen the conference for the future."
Among the items addressed by the Council in Tuesday's meetings:
- Approved the creation and start-up funding for a comprehensive CAA digital network.
- Received and endorsed the status report on efforts to increase conference membership.
- Engaged in a lengthy discussion and reached a conclusion regarding the conference rule relating to championship participation. Several points still need additional clarification before the decision will be announced.
- Revised the revenue distribution plan to increase the financial reward for institutions achieving the performance criteria in men's basketball.
- Voted to increase the base withdrawal fee for a departing institution under liquidated damages to $1 million dollars. This increase does not apply to institutions that have already announced their withdrawal from the conference.
- Approved the following NCAA Committee Appointments:
Patrick Harker, President of the University of Delaware - NCAA Board of Directors (four-year term)
Jeff Hathaway, Vice President and Director of Athletics at Hofstra University - NCAA Leadership Cabinet
Nick Gannon, Deputy Director of Athletics at Drexel University - NCAA Championships and Competition Cabinet
- Selected UNCW Chancellor Gary Miller to begin a two-year term as Chair of the Council of Presidents and UNCW Director of Athletics Jimmy Bass to begin a two-year term as conference President.