CAA Men's Basketball Weekly Report - Dec. 10
Jerrelle Benimon • Towson
Jr., F, 6-8, 245 - Warrenton, Va./Fauquier
Benimon averaged 20.0 points, 13.0 rebounds, 2.0 steals and 2.0 blocks as Towson split two road games last week. The junior forward scored a career-high 29 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and made a career-high four steals in a 68-64 win over defending America East champ Vermont and contributed 11 points and a career-high tying 16 rebounds in a 46-40 setback at 15th-ranked Georgetown. Benimon shot 63.6% from the floor for the week.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Sherrod Wright • George Mason
Jr., G, 6-4, 196 - Mount Vernon, N.Y./Mount Vernon
Wright averaged 21.5 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals in George Mason's 1-1 week. The junior guard poured in a team-high 23 points with five rebounds in a 74-63 win over UMBC and contributed a team-best 20 points and five boards in an 82-77 overtime loss to UNI. For the week, Wright shot 71.4% from the floor, including 5-of-7 from three-point range.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Andre Nation • James Madison
Fr., G, 6-4, 190 - Plant City, Fla./Faith Baptist Christian
Nation turned in a solid all-around effort in JMU's 1-1 week, averaging 9.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, 3.0 steals and 2.0 assists. The freshman tallied 11 points, five rebounds, a career-high five steals and three blocks in just 23 minutes of a 70-45 win over East Tennessee. He also had eight points and three caroms in an 83- 82 overtime loss to Richmond.
Light Schedule Due To Exams This Week: With exams underway at many CAA schools, there are only nine games on this week's schedule. George Mason, Northeastern and William & Mary don't play at all this week, while Towson is the only team with more than one contest on the slate.
Doubling Up: Delaware senior Jamelle Hagins ranks second in the nation with seven double-doubles this season, while Towson junior Jerrelle Benimon is eighth with five. Four other CAA players have multiple double-doubles: UNCW's Keith Rendleman (3), Towson's Bilal Dixon (2), ODU's DeShawn Painter (2) and UNCW's Cedrick Williams (2).
Down To The Wire: Of the 100 non-conference games involving CAA teams this season, 43 of them (43%) have been decided by six points or less and nine have gone to overtime. Seven of George Mason's 10 games have had margins of five points or less. Delaware and Towson have had five games with margins of six points or less and Drexel has had four. Northeastern has had five games decided by three points or less. Georgia State has won three games by two points or less and James Madison has been involved in three one-point decisions and a two-point contest.
UD's Saddler, Hagins Moving Up Career Lists: Delaware guard Devon Saddler has the third-most career points (1,221) of any junior in Division I. Saddler trails only Creighton's Doug McDermott and Marshall's DeAndre Kane. Blue Hens' forward Jamelle Hagins has 850 career rebounds and is just 67 shy of UD's all-time record. He also ranks 7th in CAA history with 235 career blocked shots.
Mason's 14-Game Home Court Winning Streak Ends: George Mason's 14-game home court winning streak, which was tied for the 9th-longest active streak in the nation, came to an end last Saturday after an 82-77 overtime loss to Northern Iowa. The Patriots have captured 32 of their last 34 contests at the Patriot Center.
Youth Movement: There are just seven seniors among the top 30 scorers in the CAA through games of Dec. 9 and Northeastern's Joel Smith is the only senior among the top 10. The top 30 also includes 13 juniors, five sophomores and five freshmen.
Freshmen Among Steals Leaders: JMU guard Andre Nation leads the CAA with 2.6 steals per game and is one of five freshmen among the league's top 15 in steals. GSU's R.J. Hunter is third (2.2 spg), Towson's Jerome Hairston is tied for fifth (2.1 spg), ODU's Keenan Palmore is 11th (1.7 spg) and Northeastern's David Walker is tied for 14th (1.2 spg).
Delaware's Hagins Ranked 3rd Nationally In Rebounding: Delaware senior center Jamelle Hagins is ranked third in the nation in rebounding with 12.5 rpg through games of Dec. 9. Hagins was one of three CAA players among the top 40 nationally in rebounding along with Towson's Jerrelle Benimon (18th/10.6 rpg) and UNCW's Keith Rendleman (38th/9.3 rpg). In other categories, Delaware's Devon Saddler is 16th in scoring (20.7 ppg), W&M's Tim Rusthoven is 47th in FG percentage (56.6%), while the Tribe's Marcus Thornton is 39th in 3-pt FG percentage (44.2%). Georgia State's James Vincent is 35th (2.4 bpg) and Hagins is 42nd (2.3 bpg) in blocked shots (2.4 bpg). JMU's Andre Nation is 27th (2.6 spg) and GSU's Devonta White is 37th (2.4 spg) in steals.
W&M Ranked 20th In 3-Point Defense: William & Mary ranks 20th in the nation in 3-point FG percentage defense at 26% according to the latest NCAA stats through games of Dec. 9. In other team categories, Towson is 22nd (+8.8 rpg) and Old Dominion is 28th (7.7 rpg) in rebound margin. W&M is 34th in field goal percentage (47.7%), Drexel is 37th in free throw percentage (75.0%), Towson is 23rd (5.4 bpg) in blocks, and James Madison is 28th in steals (9.8 spg).
• Defeated Radford 68-59 but lost 73-67 in ot to Delaware State in their first two home games of the season last week.
• Senior Jamelle Hagins has a league-high 7 double-doubles in 10 games after tallying 16 pts and 10 reb vs. Radford and 15 pts and 15 reb vs. DSU. Hagins leads the CAA in rebounding (12.5 rpg) and ranks 2nd in blocks (2.3 bpg) and FG% (58.3%).
• Junior Devon Saddler, who leads the CAA in scoring with 20.7 ppg, tallied a team-high 18 points vs. RU and 16 points vs. DSU. Saddler has scored double digits in 16 straight games and has topped the 14-point mark in every game this season.
• Sophomore guard Kyle Anderson scored a season-high 12 points vs. DSU.
• Delaware has captured its past three home openers but had a seven-game home winning streak snapped vs. DSU.
• Split a pair of road games last week, beating Princeton 64-57 after a 76-66 loss at Tennessee State.
• Sophomore Damion Lee scored a team-high 21 points at Princeton and 18 points at TSU. Lee has scored 16 or more points in each of his last six games and is averaging 19.7 ppg over that six-game stretch.
• Junior Frantz Massenat contributed 15 points and 7 assists at TSU. Massenat leads the CAA in assists (4.9 apg) and has scored double digits in 5 of his last 6 games.
• Senior Daryl McCoy posted his first double-double of the season at TSU with 10 points and a team-best 13 rebounds. He ranks 12th in career rebounds (685) at Drexel.
• Junior Dartaye Ruffin grabbed a season-high 11 rebounds at TSU and scored 12 points on 6-of-9 FG shooting at Princeton.
• Drexel shot 63% from the floor in the 2nd half to rally from a 13-point deficit at PU.
• Defeated UMBC 74-63, but fell 82-77 in ot to Northern Iowa last week, ending the Patriots' 14-game home court win streak.
• Junior Sherrod Wright scored a team-high 23 points vs. UMBC and 20 points against UNI. Wright has been Mason's top scorer in 8 of 10 games and ranks among the CAA's top 5 in scoring, FG% and 3-point FG%.
• Freshman Marko Gujanicic scored a career-high 14 points with 5 rebounds vs. UMBC.
• Sophomore Erik Copes scored a career-high 10 points against UMBC. He snared a career-high 11 rebounds at URI on Nov. 28.
• Mason is 18-2 at home under coach Paul Hewitt, including 3-1 this season.
• Mason tops the CAA in scoring defense (60.8 ppg).
• Forward Jonathan Arledge tallied season-highs of 11 points and seven rebounds off the bench vs. UMBC.
• Pulled away for an 86-58 victory over Southern Poly on Saturday.
• Junior Rashaad Richardson hit a game-winning 3-pointer with 3 seconds left at Liberty. It was Richardson's second game-winning shot in the past 10 days.
• Guard R.J. Hunter had a team-high 21 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists vs. Southern Poly. Hunter tops all CAA freshmen in scoring (15.0 ppg) and rebounding (6.0 rpg). He's scored double figures in 7 of GSU's 9 games and is also 3rd in the CAA in steals.
• Junior Devonta White tallied 16 points, 4 assists and 4 steals vs. Southern Poly. He's scored double digits in 8 of 9 games.
• Junior forward Manny Atkins scored 16 points vs. Southern Poly, which was his 5th straight game in double figures. He's shooting 44.4% from 3-point range.
• GSU already has 79 steals in 9 games after ranking 4th nationally (9.3 spg) last year.
• Suffered losses to Wagner (52-44) and LIU Brooklyn (88-84) last week. Have dropped five in a row.
• Sophomore guard Taran Buie averaged 22.5 ppg last week, netting a career-high 29 points at LIU and a team-best 16 points vs. Wagner. The Penn State transfer has tallied double figures in seven of his eight games.
• Senior guard Stevie Mejia dished out seven assists vs. Wagner and ranks 3rd in the CAA with 3.6 apg. Mejia has also scored double digits in six of Hofstra's 10 games.
• Junior forward Stephen Nwaukoni matched a season-high with 11 rebounds vs. Wagner and scored 12 points at LIU. He has grabbed 7+ boards in six games this season.
• Senior guard Matt Grogan scored a career-high seven points against SMU and tied it with seven points vs. Wagner.
• The 84 points at LIU were the 2nd-most scored in regulation by Hofstra this season.
• Went 1-1 at home last week, rolling past East Tennessee 70-45 before losing 83-82 in ot to Richmond.
• Senior Devon Moore scored a season-high 19 points with five assists vs. UR. He's 3rd in career assists (370) at JMU and became the 25th player to reach 1,000 pts for his career.
• Senior A.J. Davis scored a season-high 17 points in 24 minutes off the bench vs. ETSU and followed with 13 points vs. UR.
• Freshman Andre Nation contributed 11 points, 5 rebounds, a career-high 5 steals and 3 blocks vs. ETSU. Nation leads the CAA in steals (2.6 spg) and has scored double figures in five of his last eight games.
• Senior Andrey Semenov scored 18 points in 27 minutes vs. UR, hitting 6-of-7 from the floor, including 3-of-3 on three-pointers.
• JMU made a season-high 15 steals vs. ETSU and leads the CAA with 9.8 steals per game.
• Defeated Coker 62-47, but lost 73-66 at Georgia Tech last week. UNCW is 4-0 at home, but 0-5 on the road this season.
• Senior Keith Rendleman recorded his 3rd double-double of the year and the 25th of his career with 20 points and 13 rebounds vs. Coker. He also made six steals.
• Junior Tanner Milson averaged 14.5 ppg last week, including a season-high 16 points at Ga. Tech. It was his fourth double-digit outing in the past six games.
• Junior guard Chris Dixon scored a career-high 20 points at Georgia Tech. He also dished out a team-high five assists.
• UNCW tied a season-high with 14 steals vs. Coker and forced 22 turnovers.
• UNCW made a season-best nine 3-pointers at Georgia Tech and committed a season-low 13 turnovers. The Seahawks led the Yellow Jackets with less than 5 minutes left.
• Lost 72-66 to UMass and 66-64 to La Salle last week. Have dropped four in a row by eight points or less.
• Sophomore Reggie Spencer shot 73.7% from the floor last week and was NU's top scorer vs. UMass (15 pts) and La Salle (16 pts). He's grabbed at least five boards in every game and is averaging 6.6 rpg.
• Senior Joel Smith chipped in 11 points vs. La Salle and 10 points vs. UMass. Smith has scored double figures in 7 straight games and is 24 points shy of 1,000 for his career.
• Sophomore Quincy Ford posted his first double-double of the year (14 pts/10 reb) vs. UMass. Ford ranks among the top 20 in the CAA in scoring and rebounding.
• Sophomore Demetrius Pollard scored a career-high 12 points vs. Maine and matched it with 12 points against UMass.
• Dinko Marshavelski scored a season-high 10 points in 15 minutes vs. La Salle.
• Fell 80-53 to Richmond and 83-70 to VCU last week. ODU has dropped seven in a row.
• Senior DeShawn Painter posted his 2nd double-double of the year vs. VCU with a career-high 26 points and 10 rebounds. It was his 7th game with 8 or more boards.
• Senior forward Nick Wright scored a season-high 16 points vs. Richmond and has scored double figures in 2 of his last 3 games.
• Freshman Keenan Palmore has scored at least eight points in 6 of ODU's 9 games.
• ODU has outrebounded 8 of its 9 opponents and was even against W&M. The Monarchs rank 2nd in the CAA in rebound margin (+7.4 rpg).
• Donte Hill added 13 points vs. VCU, which was his 5th double-digit outing of the year.
• Nine players have started at least 3 games this season and Hill is the only ODU player to have started each game.
• Beat defending America East champ Vermont, 68-64, before falling 46-40 at 15th-ranked Georgetown.
• Junior Jerrelle Benimon had a career-high 29 points and 10 rebounds at UVM and 11 points and a career-high tying 16 rebounds at Georgetown. He has posted five double-doubles in his past seven games.
• Junior Mike Burwell added 12 points at Vermont. He has five double-digit scoring efforts in the last eight games.
• Freshman guard Jerome Hairston contributed 7 points, 4 assists and 4 steals at Vermont and scored 10 points at Georgetown. He leads the Tigers with 19 steals.
• The Tigers are outrebounding opponents by 8.8 rpg, which leads the CAA. Towson has beaten its last eight opponents on the glass.
• Towson recorded more blocks (6) in the first half against Georgetown than field goals allowed (5).
William & Mary
• On a three-game winning streak after victories over Howard (78-69) and Radford (60-55) last week. It's just the 4th time in 30 years that W&M has started 6-3 or better.
• Junior guard Brandon Britt scored a career-high 26 points vs. Howard. Britt has scored 13 or more points in 7 of 9 games.
• Sophomore Marcus Thornton posted a game-high 19 points at Radford. He has tallied double digits in 11 straight games.
• Junior Tim Rusthoven averaged 13.0 ppg and 6.0 rpg last week. He's grabbed 7 or more boards in 7 of 9 games.
• Thornton, Britt and Rusthoven are accounting for over 70% of the Tribe's points.
• Terry Tarpey grabbed a career-high 12 rebounds vs. Howard, which was the most boards by a Tribe freshman since 2004.
• Junior Kyle Gaillard recorded his first career double-double at RU with 13 points and 11 rebounds. He shot 69.2% for the week.