Article Image
Courtesy: CAA
UNCW goalkeeper Caitlin Hunter

UNCW, Hofstra Advance On PK's In CAA WSOC Quarters

Courtesy: CAA
          Release: 10/28/2012
Send this article to a friend Print RSS

Third-seeded UNCW and fifth-seeded Hofstra advanced to the semifinals of the CAA Women's Soccer Championship on penalty kicks after double-overtime ties on Sunday afternoon. The Seahawks edged #6 Delaware 4-3 on PK's after a 1-1 draw, while the Pride got past #4 Northeastern 3-1 on PK's after a 2-2 tie.

UNCW will meet #2 Drexel and Hofstra will face #1 William & Mary in the CAA semfinals on Friday in Williamsburg, Va.

#3 UNCW 1, #6 Delaware 1 (UNCW adv. 4-3 on PK's)

WILMINGTON, North Carolina - No. 3 seed UNCW advanced on penalty kicks, 4-3, after playing to a 1-1 draw against No. 6 seed Delaware in the quarterfinals of the 2012 CAA Women's Soccer Championship Sunday at the UNCW Soccer Stadium.

Both teams are credited with a tie. UNCW moved to 12-6-2 overall and extended its undefeated streak to six games, while the Blue Hens finished their season with a 9-8-1 mark.

The victory in the penalty kick shootout advances the Seahawks to the semifinals of the six-team tournament, where they will face No. 2 seed Drexel in the first semifinal contest Nov. 2 at Albert-Daly Field on the campus of William & Mary. Kickoff for the game is set for 5 p.m.

With the score tied at 1-all after regulation and two 10-minute overtime sessions, the two teams went to a five-player shootout to determine who would advance to face the Dragons.

In the shootout, both teams were successful on their first three attempts before UNCW senior keeper Caitlin Hunter turned away Blue Hens sophomore Andie Arnold's try in top half of the fourth round. Senior Stephanie Rose converted her kick in the bottom half of the frame to put the Seahawks up one before Hunter dashed the Blue Hens hopes of extending the shootout as she turned away Delaware senior Ali Miller's opportunity in the top of the final round.

Earlier in the contest, freshman Maddie McCormick put UNCW ahead, 1-0, in the seventh minute as she corralled a loose ball in the middle of the box before placing it in the back of the net from five yards out for her seventh goal of the season.

Miller drew the Blue Hens level at 1-all at the 80:48 mark, knocking home a cross from senior Laura Klebe after a UNCW turnover on the endline for her seventh goal of the campaign.

Hunter finished with nine saves for UNCW while junior Jessica Levy and sophomore Jess Figueroa combined to make five stops in goal for the Blue Hens.

Delaware held a 19-13 shot advantage in the contest, highlighted by a 17-7 edge in the second half and overtime. UNCW posted a slim 4-3 edge in corner kicks taken.


#5 Hofstra 2, #4 Northeastern 2 (Hofstra adv. 3-1 on PK's)

Brookline, MA.- Hofstra sophomore Sam Scolarici scored two goals, including the game-tying marker off a penalty kick late in the second half, before the Pride scored three goals in the shootout to advance past Northeastern in a 2-2 contest (3-1 on penalty kicks) in the CAA Tournament quarterfinals on a rainy and windswept Parsons Field on Sunday.

Scolarici scored off a penalty kick with 6:03 left in the second half, sending Hofstra to its first CAA Tournament overtime game since 2009. Scolarici, freshman Jeannine Molleda and sophomore Anya Koren all scored for Hofstra in the shootout while goalie Emily Morphitis made two huge saves to complete the comeback.

Hofstra earned a spot in the CAA Championship semifinals against No. 1 seed and tournament host William and Mary. The Pride will oppose the Tribe on Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Hofstra head coach Simon Riddiough's team snapped a three-game losing streak in winning its first CAA Tournament contest since the 2010 squad advanced to the championship game. The Pride moved to 10-8-1 since the contest officially counts as a tie. Northeastern ends its season at 9-9-1.

Sandra Magnusdottir had a goal and an assist for a three-point night for the Huskies. But Scolarici's first career multi-goal game helped Hofstra erase a deficit in the final 10 minutes before scoring on the team's first shootout attempt in the penalty kick phase.

Hofstra participated in its first penalty-kick shootout since 2008, when Hofstra advanced past Old Dominion.

Northeastern goalkeeper Paige Burnett made six saves while Morphitis (London, England) finished with three officially. But two unofficial saves were the most important, with stops on Hannah O'Donnell and Hanna Terry in the shootout.

Hofstra generated a few chances to score in the second overtime, with the best chance coming when Ruby Staplehurst's shot was blocked in front before hitting the crossbar and going out with 3:33 left, setting up the third corner of the second overtime session.

Staplehurst, a junior from London, England, took the initial corner kick and came back to the field, getting the ball near the top left-corner of the box to set up her low shot that caromed off a defender's leg and hit the bar. Northeastern did not generate another shot before time expired, sending the game into penalty kicks.

The rain picked up late in the second half, though the conditions didn't prevent Morphitis from a game-saving stop. Terry, who had the game-winning goal for Northeastern against Hofstra in the regular season finale, broke free near midfield and gained a stride on a defender. But Morphitis raced out of the net and made a diving stop on the head-on shot from nearly 10 yards out in the 78th minute to keep the score tied at 1

Magnusdottir scored off a free kick with 9:27 remaining in the second half, giving Northeastern a huge lift. After a yellow card was assed to Hofstra, Magnusdottir's far-angle free kick nestled directly into the top-right corner of the net for a 2-1 Northeastern lead.

Hofstra refused to go down quietly, crashing the net in the final minutes. The pressure worked as Northeastern was whistled for a foul inside the box. Hofstra, which had not had a single penalty kick chance all season, took advantage. Scolarici scored on a low kick for her first career two-goal game, giving Hofstra a chance to extend its season.

The game was a rematch of the regular season finale on Wednesday when Northeastern won, 3-2, at Hofstra Soccer Stadium. But the postseason contest was a more defensive-oriented contest in the first half, with the teams combined for just three shots on goal in the opening half.

Hofstra worked early for its first goal, using a passing game around mid-field to gain control and set up Scolarici's goal on its opening shot just 1:29 into the contest. Sophomore Lulu Echeverry (East Meadow, N.Y.) took possession to the right of the net inside the box and centered a pass to Scolarici (Aldie, Va.), who fired a shot that a Northeastern defender deflected into the net for the second-minute goal.

Scolarici, who entered with two-game winning goals, continued her breakout season with her eighth and ninth goals of the season (along with one in the shootout). But Northeastern responded with the tying goal in the 35th minute when Greta Samuelsdottir headed in Magnusdottir's corner kick, knotting the score at 1.

Samuelsdottir jumped near the left post and headed it over the Hofstra defense, giving the Huskies a goal on its first shot-on-goal. It was her ninth goal of the season.

Those were the only two on-target shots in the half before Scolarici nearly gave Hofstra the lead in the last minute. The midfielder fired a hard, high shot that Burnett blocked with her out-stretched hands to push it over the crossbar with 45 seconds left to keep it tied heading into halftime.